Transcribing FGD

S

Hi all,

I have been transcribing FGD data and it is taking hrs and hrs, seems it will take months. I can't even type directly as FGD is done in a language other than English and the language is not easy/fast for typing. Anyone doing FGD transcription of audio file? Any idea to make it faster? Needs suggestion pls...

no idea about FGD. But I found 'transcription buddy' really really useful. Its free to download from www.download.com and has a free 30 day trial - when the trial is up, then uninstall and reinstall and it lets you use it again. I've used it for 4 years for free now!

It has automatic pauses so rather than pressing pause, play, rewind all the time you can set a speed for the interview, then it will loop depending on what times you give it e.g. for a fast speaker you could have

play: 9 seconds
pause: 3 seconds:
rewind: 2 seconds
play: 9 seconds

and so on, so it continually loops whilst slowly moving through the recording. and you can change the speed of the speakers voice etc. - although obviously only good for digital recordings.

S

Hi Sneaks,

Thank u so much for your help. I will download and see how it goes with the FGDs. It seems very efficient as currently I have not been able to slow down the speakers' voice and have to rewind again & again. Yeah, my FGDs are digitally recorded. Therefore should work as you said. Thank u so much once again.

Swetch

I think the options you need in the program are under View>options and then you will get a thing called 'automatic pause' and then 3 times you can change. I find that I often need to set these times differently according to the speaker. But after 2 mins of getting it right, it can make the whole transcribing process much quicker!

S

Thank u so much Sneaks!

have you got it working ok?

S

Wow..it is perfectly working Sneaks. I had no idea before whether these kinds of software exists. It will definitely reduce my time working on the transcription. I was really frustrated before...THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN !!