Translating quotes to English

N

I am now in the process of revising a paper of mine which has been accepted for publication, and one of the remarks of the editor is that I should state whether some material I quoted from foreign newspapers has been translated into English by me or not.
I have indeed translated all these quotes myself, but I don't know how to express this in the text. Should I add a footnote to the first quote and state that this and all the subsequent quotes are translations? Or a footnote for every quote? I am using the MHRA style guide but I haven't found anything helpful to this regard, nor there are clear instructions in the style guidelines of the publications.
All help much appreciated.

A

Hi Nimrod,
I work in linguistics and use lots of foreign-language sources and quotes. I quote in the original language and then footnote a translation, for instance: My translation: XXX. This means that readers can locate the original easily and can reflect on it with the trans, which is furthermore appropriate with semantically sensitive material. This is the norm in my dept, but maybe others can feed into this.

N

Hi Apostrophe,

Your proposal sounds very sensible, except in regard to particular choices of vocabulary or images which might be difficult to translate with 100% accuracy into English (and there are some examples of this in my quotes). I'm not sure however whether my readers (few of whom probably speak Spanish) will appreciate having the original version available, plus including translations + originals will increase substantially the word count, and I'm currently very near the limit... Will have to sort this out. Many thanks indeed.

N

Sorry in my previous post it should be "especially" instead of "except"...