Tricks on making people particpate in a focus group?

R

Hi,
I use focus groups in my research, unfortunately several potential participants cancel at the last minute. I was thinking of using some soft of incentive to garantee that they do attend. Any ideas regarding how attendance could be improved?

O

Offer "incentives"? Is this permitted? Such as a snack, or a free pen or a token worth a discount at some sort of shop?

H

Food always gets people. No-one can resist a free lunch!

R

Olivia, good point.
I think small things like biscuits etc are perfectly OK (in fact coffee and biscuits are a requirement!) You are right if one would offer massive gifts / money obviously the would be ethical problems.
I was more thinking of "incentives" like good reasons for participants to attend. For example "points" for their continuing medical education (I am in the medical field), "attendance certificates" / opportunity to meet colleagues etc.

Any thoughts?

D

I am also using focus groups, although the participants are not coming all from a professional field - especially one where they are so time limited and (at least in the U.S.) often used to being provided incentives likes really nice dinners and the such for attendence. But CME's are a huge incentive - I would think that would really encourage them. Also, perhaps overbooking for the groups, so that if they all show up, the ones not needed could either join in anyway or be sent away with a thank you gift certificate somewhere? All depends on funding, of course. Good luck!

R

Hi doc2008

yeah, the CME really helps. Also knowing the participants (esp "key people") is useful.

Have not thought about overbooking, yet may be a good idea. Could however also upset them ("Came all the way for nothing?")

How are your groups going?

Kind regards

Rick

D

Hi Rick - I have just started key informant interviews, and starting recruitment for the focus groups. I'm not anticipating too many problems, this is from a close-knit community and for a health issue, so I think I'll be fine, my main stumbling block has been every small change I make requiring a modification request through the IRB. And transcribing, what a huge amount of time that is taking, hopefully I can afford someone to do it for me for the bulk of the interviews. Are you using a co-moderator?

H

I ran a series of 8 focus groups in 4 major cities in the UK. I don't think you can do it without a co-moderator as you need feedback from another person to tell you about the group dynamics. Also, make sure the group discusses the topic and interrupt as little as possible, otherwise, you'll be guilty of doing group interviews rather than focus group interviews. Good luck. Any thoughts on how you are going to analyse the data?

S

Hi,

Having done some focus groups previously I agree with the food point. Also we offered to reimburse travel expenses and make sure we had parking spaces (we lost some participants because they couldn't find a parking space when they got there - we soon learned from that!).

Even with a tight community, with a vested interest in the topic, I wouldn't bank on participation in focus groups. they dynamics and logistics can mean that people just can't all make the same day. We ended up using interviews as well.

One issue on the transcription, i have been advised if you get an outside contractor to do this you need to put contracts in place that take account of data protection (at least in the UK), so it might be worth speaking to your data protection officer about this.

R

Thank you for your replies.

Doc2008 I have done 2 focus groups so far, one with and one without a co-moderator. With the co-moderator it is easier as you can concentrate completely on the group, while the other can keep notes, monitor the time etc.

Good point regarding avoiding group interviews as opposed to focus group interviews. So far this has not been too problematic. I think the trick is not to interfere unless someone is really very dominant or the reverse not partipating at all.

Good points regarding the parking, had not thought about that.

T

hi rick

A free lunch will do the trick, well at least it worked for me!