Trouble with my Social Sciences topic

B

I'm coming to the end of my first yr but my topic still isn't even finalised never mind my proposal. I worked really hard on a proposal that I thought was viable, interesting, worthwhile etc. My 2nd sup liked the idea and gave some advice on it but my 1st sup slammed it straight away by saying that because I would be using a sample of further education students it would be like an undergrad study and wouldn't get approved at my confirmation viva.
I want to specifically look at people under 25 which is why I was proposing that sample. It would also involve an attiude survey with measures of personality and cognitive processes aswell. Sup also said that attitude surveys are not good for PhD level work..... I don't really understand that because it is not solely focused on attitudes and I know of other people who have had their whole research centred on attitude surveys.
I'm crushed. Anyone got any advice?

S

I think the problem might be that your 1st sup thinks you will base the project or answer the research question on the data from survey, and I dont think thats enough. So, as you said it involves more, just explian the other experimental methods or data collections you have thought. I think the surveys or focus group data can be a pilot project to the main research rather than a standard experiemntal method.

E

I think you need to argue your case. If you believe that much in your methodology then prove that it will make a good enough contribution in your field. Argue it logically and academically. Find other papers and thesis that you could use to back it up. Your second supervisor obviously has point and it maybe worth considering their views... Dont be crushed - debate and questioning is normal in academia - take positive action.

J

hey Bug, don't worry. i also have to justify my project next week after one of my supervisors feeling that am not making use of them, whilst my second one - not an expert in my field - but an expert in a related field reckons that am losing focus and I don't know what it is that I'm on about in my thesis. Thanks for the advice guys, i felt really angry earlier after what i had considered to be a breakthrough in my research was so easily dismissed. i've decided to defend it tho - after taking your advice. maybe its actually not as bad as it seems.

J

am also at the end of my first year.