Trying to find a supervisor....

E

Hello,
I have moved in London so as to do a PhD, but unfortunately, I cannot find a supervisor. I have contacted a lot of professors, who are conducting research on the field that interests me, but they either do not respond or they just tell me that my proposal is interesting or impressive but they are not able to supervise it. I started looking for a supervisor about 3 months ago, and I am very disappointed as at this point it seems to me that I will simply not find anyone to supervise me. I would be grateful, if anyone could give me some advice?
Emma

C

Hi Emma.

How frustrating.  The only thing that struck me was that meeting someone in person, looking them in the eyes, makes it a lot more difficult to say no.

So, with that in mind could you attend a University open day, conference or any other event where Professors in your field are likely to gather.  

Another less conventional idea would be advertising yourself on University / field relevant web sites asking for a supervisor ?   Do people do that ?  Although, that said, I still think in person is far more persuasive.

All the best and I hope your persistence pays off. Regards, Chuff