Tuesday's silly question - rent

V

writingup - all my respect, you have already found a lectureship. I heard that it is very hard (at least in social sciences), in average 200-300 apllicants for one place in relatively good unversities. You must be doing very well then:)

W

thanks verdy, I appreciate your kind words. Now I am going to try to force myself to stop procrastinating and do some writing

S

Reply to Verdy: Probably nowhere can you mortgage on a stipend. Banks can't get their heads around what they are and think that 12K is taxed. I also guess the short termism is also a problem for them. I've had my mortgage approved because I am mortgaging on my current salary (I'm a soon-quitting management consultant) so I borrowed what I thought I could manage on my stipend. I've also built up 75K in equity through being in the property market for the last 6 years.

Many people have told me to take full advantage of my position now, because once the PhD starts I will not be able to get a mortgage for 3 or 4 years which will lose me alot of ground in the property market. I'd be a fool not to and I can also make a few bob on the side subletting rooms. That's the plan anyway...

C

£325 a month. Living with my boyfriend in a house owned by his parents. Expensive for Leeds, but its a lovely house in a nice area, so I can't complain

K

£400 per month inc bills, cheap for london

H

Verdy, the place I'm living in is owned by my parents. Its one of those nice city appartment type things. I actually have my own place which bought when I was 24, I had been working for 2 years and because I lived at home, I saved up a lot of money and was able to put down a reasonable deposit. However at the time I was doing my masters so my parents are on the mortgage with me. The place is currently empty though and costing me a lot of money for mortgage payments.