Turning papers into thesis chapters?

L

i really hate him for saying that. and acting as if he wrote the paper and did all the work. $&%$£$$!!

i don't know what to do. i feel like i don't want to use any of the paper for my chapter, because of what he said. but i wrote the paper so that it would help me write the chapter. but he changed what i wrote. so maybe i should rewrite the whole paper in my own words. that way i wont get done for "plagerism" and i read that you're meant to write it in your own words, and i dont remeber what bits are mine and what bits he rewrote.

but if i rewrite it in my own words, when i show him my chapter, he's gonna say its crap because he thinks i write very badly and unscientifically

S

I'm afraid I cannot help you much about writer's block and motivation, because it's been almost 2 years since my PhD grant ended and I still haven't written half of my thesis... I feel like I'm in a relationship where there is no passion anymore but I'm too afraid to break up.

Don't thank me for cheering you up!

B

Either get on with the paper-chapter rewrite, or turn to another chapter until you've had a chance to thrash out the issue with your supervisor properly (because they're going to have to approve whatever you do). You don't have time to spend getting really upset about things, and you're probably going to have worse things to face before the end of this. And if you're still really upset about it go and see a counsellor at your university. It's usually free for students and it might help you a lot.

L

lol thanks Sam,

i think i feel overwelmed by this particular chapter, because i spent a year writing the paper. and i have multitude of drafts and results tables and just alot of raw material, i haven't looked at for months! once the paper was finalised. i didn't wanna look at it.
and then what my supervisor said, really hurt me.

so i am just going to focus on the task itself, and put my supervisors words out of my head. and just focus on getting a zero draft done and just think about that and nothing else.

L

i'm going to do a big brainstorm for all the things i think i need to do for this chapter. so i've pasted a couple of A4 papers together and going to do a big spider brainstorm diagram. and stick it to my wall..

and tell myself i ONLY have 3 days to write the draft for this chapter. i think deadlines (even if they are self imposed, really work for me).

so my deadline is friday 6th june, to get a zero draft of chapter 4.

B

Deadlines really focus the mind :)

Good luck.

L

Thanks Bilbo! for your advice. you're right.

I have decided to get on with the papaer chapter rewrite. face my fear so to speak. that way when i have my meeting next week, i will feel that i have done something for my thesis. and can feel that my supervisor didn't do ALL The work for the paper as he likes to think he did.

i know this chapter i will definately have to include in my thesis. so i really ought to get going on it. so my motivation is to really expand on it..that way i will feel that it's my chapter.

yeh the counselling thing is a good idea! if i have to meet with my graduate tutor, i will ask him if i can have a session with a counceller. but he hasn't responded to my emails yet, about my deadline.

thanks so much for your advice. i really appreciate it.

L

yes, you're right, deadlines really do focus the mind! so i'm setting a new deadline, for this friday.