two phd degrees

S

hello everyone,

i am now a 2nd year student in Economics, in one of school in norway.
i am thinking to apply for another PhD, now in Business and Finance for some reasons:
1. i want to go to top rank school (stupid reason maybe)
2. looks like finance/business graduate earn much more money
3. some of good business school offers PhD in business with scholarship and stipend.

My Questions:
1. do you think it is a good intention?
2. will the board of admission consider person who applies PhD and in the same time already had phd?

Thank you all

S

addendum: i am now 2nd year in PhD program in economics

U

IMHO, I would advise finishing you current PhD in economics, and then getting a high paid job in finance.

Two PhDs concurrently is impossible, and having two PhDs is pointless.

Maybe an MBA after the 1st PhD.

C

Hi Sheva, I am not in your field, but I think that it would be a faux pas to leave your current study for a new one. You are already in your second year and probably you have developed your research to a good point already. Moreover, I personally don't think that the hypothesys - because this is what it is - of earning more money in the future can be the main reason for a change. But this is only my opinion of course.

A

A PhD is essentially a period of research training. A person who has successfully completed a PhD should not need to do another one!

G

1. No.
2. No.

You may want to address your reasoning for such a fools errand.

B

There are some instances where two doctorates are plausible. My friend (on whose computer I am typing this) already holds a PhD in experimental psychology (a typical research PhD), but is currently studying for a DClinPsy (clinical psychology doctorate, which is a professional training in psychotherapy) like my girlfriend. However, these are two very different qualifications, and he is learning different things from them.

It is pointless having two research doctorates, but if there is something fundamentally different to the other doctorate, e.g. it is a vocational taught qualification, then it may be worth it. Prestige of the university alone is not worth it.

P

In my interview, I gleaned from my Professor/Supervisor that my PhD is something I need to do and then get out of the way to continue in academia or research. Based on that, I, personally, couldn't see the point of doing another research PhD either. This has come from a Prof. who is very experienced in research too. A clinical doctorate on top of a PhD, like badhaircut mentions, is another matter.

N

Well, there are people who end up having 2 PhDs but usually the second one is in a completely separate area and done not to enhance career progression but merely out of interest. For example a PhD in business who ends up working in a big corporation, and some years later he decides to complete a PhD in English just out of interest... not very common but it happens.