Two PhDs, same institution, same administrator. Two different cover letters?

S

Hi guys,

I am applying to two different PhD projects in the same department (maybe even the same lab) at KCL. I finished an application last night and sent it off, only to find another similar project looking into a different problem within the same topic. More awkward still, the same administrator will be reading my application. Do you think I should customise my original cover letter to acknowledge this other project more? I really want to work within this department but do not want to come across as lazy for using the same (or a very similar) letter twice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

H

If it is an administrator (rather than an academic) then they probably won't be reading your cover letter in any depth, as they won't be responsible for determining who to interview.

However, unless it's a brief 'please find enclosed my application' type cover letter, I would recommend that the cover letter should ALWAYS be different as it should reflect the post applied for. that applies whoever is reading it, and whatever institution you're applying to.