Two PhDs?

M

I am nearing the competition of my PhD, sociological research. This should be done in the next few months, I'm just waiting for my viva. After this, I had planned to carry on researching.

However, I have to leave my current university and head back home for family reasons. This limits my options for posts and there is currently bugger all going. I had been in touch with a professor and we talked about going for an ESRC Post Doctoral Fellowship but just missed the deadline and their new Future Leaders scheme doesn't go live until April 2012.

In the meantime, I have noticed that this university have a certain allocation of funded PhDs (a stipend of thirteen grand plus fees) in my area. I have a project plan which develops my previous research, and is similar to the Post Doctoral Fellowship idea. Would I have any chance applying for this funding to conduct my research?

I would be doing exactly what I wanted to do anyway, the PhD would just be so many letters. I am pursuing a second career as a hypnotherapist so that money would be enough to sustain me. I would not be daunted by the work having found this one pretty straightforward, so far (touch wood).

I would be interested to hear what anyone else thought about this before I put myself out there and apply...

======= Date Modified 06 Feb 2011 18:52:17 =======
I've heard if this before. I remember a few years back that one of the contestants on the Krypton Factor (UK version) already had a PhD and was doing a second one. This may be more common in Germany than elsewhere, where 'continual / professional students' don't seem to be that unusual.

I ended up with two masters (thought I'd failed one, embarked on a second then found I'd passed the first) and found that I got labelled a continual student when I made my move back into the real world for five years. This pattern repeated itself after I moved back again into the real world after PhD and post-doc (with help of employment referees, I concealed the PhD in order to get back into work and have not to date officially declared it to my employers - they know, but have not broached the subject yet so neither have I). If you want to do this, you will probably find the same as me and your future will be all but set in stone in academia due to how you're perceived.

I will comment that it seems you only know how to do a PhD once you have one, so one plus point is if you put yourself through it again you will at least know the system making things probably more straight forward.

On this very subject, look at this!!! :-)

http://www.prokerala.com/news/articles/a198781.html

C

Just to play devils advocate - you say there are a "certain allocation of funded phds", do you think you are depriving someone without a phd if you get one of those places?

M

Sadly, that wasn't me in the link!

Cheers for the input so far guys.

I had given thoughts to it on an ethical level and, no, I wouldn't see it as my depriving someone. The choice isn't mine, I'm leaving that up to those who pick the candidates. I know that I would benefit from it immensely, and would produce some valuable work that could contribute in some small way to making this country a better place, so I'd be content. A PhD isn't about the letters for me, it's about doing new and useful research. I am worried about perceptions though i.e. will I come across like a dick and jeprodise any chance of getting into the department in the future (and because of my relocation this is the only nearby university that does work in my area - hence my having such limited opportunities).

B

======= Date Modified 06 Feb 2011 20:30:07 =======
I'd worry about perceptions within the academic community if you do this. Firstly yes you would be taking a place that would normally otherwise go to someone still to get a PhD - even if you don't make the decision to award you the studentship, you're the one who takes the place. Second what good is a second PhD going to do for you career-wise, apart from give you an income and research position for a few years? If I was an academic looking at hiring you I'd wonder what was going through your mind when you took that on.

Sorry if this comes across harsh. I know some people do a second PhD for other reasons, often because they want to retrain in a totally different area. For example I know someone whose PhD is in Russian History, but after a conversion Masters is now a Computer Science researcher, and considering doing a Computer Science PhD to consolidate that position. I'd be ok with that. But just to keep you going for a year, no, especially if it (as sounds) is so close to your original field.

I really think you should be looking at a post-doctoral position, and if that means waiting a year, so be it. You should be able to find alternative employment in the meantime.

B

I'd agree with bilbobaggins about it creating a very poor perception. It would be a red flag on your cv. I think it's unlikely anyway if you were honest about being near completion that the university would award you funds to do a second PhD (I imagine if it's research council money and you've already had some that it might be forbidden anyway). Why not write to this university (and any others nearby) with a copy of your cv and ask whether you could be considered for any hourly paid teaching next academic year to bridge the gap? But seriously if you are going to be confined to one geographical area for the foreseeable future, given the way things are looking job-wise for the next few years across academia, start working on a plan B for an alternative career in case this doesn't work out. That new ESRC scheme will be much more competitive than the postdoc fellowships were as there will be fewer of them.

I notice he's posted this on the Postgrad section of the the student room site as well, with a similar comment he's denying a first time PhD'er there too (was Googling for something else).

The bit that get's me is he wants to do this to be nearer to home for family reasons and he's going to have another job anyway as a hypnotherapist. If he needs something to tide him over for a year, why doesn't he take a(nother) prober job instead of denying someone else a go?

He's not gaining from it where someone else could. That makes it selfish to me.

:-(