two weeks into the 2nd year of PhD and not sure I can continue...

K

Hi everyone. I only just started my second year in a PhD program and already feel completely anxious and overwhelmed. I am now teaching on top of a full course load, preparing for qualifying exams, conferences, and other projects I'm pursuing. While on the one hand, I love my work and feel fortunate to have such a supportive supervisor and other faculty mentors, on the other, I wonder what's at stake in terms of my overall well being. I've lost my appetite, I can't sleep, I worry constantly about my obligations to my students and to my own research and writing. Furthermore, I am experiencing so much guilt due to my lack of availability to family and friends. Finding some sort of balance to this all is taking a toll--one I'm not so sure I'm prepared for. However, I have this nagging fear that if I quit, I will always regret it. So, ultimately, my question: is it worth it to potentially compromise mental/emotional/physical health along with friend and familial relationships because of work that truly inspires and motivates you?

D

It seems as though you love what you do and so it would be a pity to give it up. That said, the stress will most likely increase and take even more of a toll on your health which wouldn't be at all helpful. Have a look at what currently you do and try to identify what you can cut down on or cut out and hopefully you should be able to make things more manageable. It strikes me that you are very keen to do well and want to make the most of your time which is great but you need to know when to say no and when to recognise when you shouldn't take something on.

B

KG - It sounds as if you are thinking too much about the whole thing and possibly should really ask are you taking too much surplus on board? In other words, why are you teaching so much? Are these other projects that important? You really have to be ruthless and answer a few questions:
1. Do you actually want the PhD?
2. What is the minimum workload other than PhD work that you can manage/get away with? Unless the other work is generating needed cash, be ruthless and forget it.
3. Of course you don't want to neglect your friends - Tell them that you are busy and stressed and that it is nothing personal that you can't meet them so often. They will understand and will help. But make time for them - don't immerse yourself totally in your work. It is good to remind yourself of the bigger picture. And surely a few hours at the weekend is not gonna set you back so much (take one day off a week irrespective of what is happening!)
4. Speak to your supervisor - You are only in your second year (and barely started at that!) so getting any issues that you might have sorted now will be invaluable! Have you the guts of an idea yet? If you have, or it is looking like you will ini the next few months, that is the crux of the PhD. Getting your idea and a sound basis for proving it is the main thing - everything else is filler (ok, writing and publishing is a pain in the nuts, but no idea = total confusion!). So maybe, if you haven't that done, arrange a meeting with your supervisor to talk about it. Once that is done ....
5. TAKE A WEEK OR TWO OFF!! You need it at least to get back into shape. You surely can do that - even if you just have to slow things down for a few days. Meet your friends and explain the situation (that you aren't being a snob). I know term is starting but fu€k, what is better, missing a day or two at the start or being a cabbage at the top of class when things that can be sorted easily now go beyond you.

Don't worry - you sound as if you realise the possible dangers ahead but I would say is sit down with a piece of paper and a good friend and go thro' these problems one by one. Solve the ones you can solve and just ball up the others.

P.S. If it is a case that the teaching load is becoming too much and you don't need the cash - Outsource the work! Plenty of people needing the cash (ahem ahem :p )