Two years since submission, still no job

M

I posted almost a year ago about being unemployed after my PhD. Nearly a year later, the situation hasn't changed and I'm becoming increasingly despondent. It's now two years since I submitted and I still can't find a job.

I keep being turned down for jobs because I don't have enough publications. Unfortunately, without access to research facilities I can't do new research and produce publications, and without financial support from an employer I can't publish/present my work. I've offered to work for free at local universities, just to get the required research experience to get a job, but they aren't interested.

I'm geographically restricted by family responsibilities and I've already been turned down 3-4 times by all of the local universities. I feel like there's no point applying when they advertise another job, because they've already told me NO several times. They probably recognise my name by now and just toss my application out without even reading it. Commercial jobs keep turning me down because they want more practical skills and commercial experience, and apparently I'm too academic so I don't deserve an opportunity to work. I even get turned down for menial jobs because I'm over-qualified.

I just feel trapped. I've pretty much exhausted all of my options now and I've already been turned down by everyone I could possibly apply to. There's no way for me to improve my research profile so it's good enough to get a research job, nobody even wants me to work for free. There's no way to get commercial experience because nobody will employ me unless I already have experience. So what do I do with the rest of my life? By this point I don't care any more whether I have a fulfilling job which is related to my qualifications - my expectations have hit the floor and I just want a decent job which pays enough money to live a normal life. But I'm not qualified for any other decent career - I'm only qualified to work in research/education and nobody in that field wants to employ me.

I currently have a miserable part-time job which pays the rent, and I'm grateful not to have to claim benefits. But I can't go on holiday, enjoy a night out or even buy new clothes. I can't have a family, a home or a car. There's no opportunity for forward progression in my life - I'm just treading water, trying to survive from one month to the next. I have no future and there's absolutely no point in being alive :-(

P

======= Date Modified 29 Oct 2012 12:37:52 =======
hey mlis

just wondering, in which area did u do ur phd? i do see ads for postdocs position at the university. this position doesnt require any research experience besides having a phd. then again, it's usually very specialized.

i know this might sound corny, but maybe u should give urself a break. just enjoy whatever u have and take a pause from looking for a job. it's called the law of paradoxical intent ie how things might come when we've stopped looking for it.

couple of years ago, i was jobless as well. being desperate for cash, i applied incessantly to many companies and attended numerous interviews. nothing came up so i finally decided to take a break from looking and tried to enjoy the hiatus.

this might sound crazy, but suddenly.. out of the blue, i was offered a job. someone met my old friend and asked for his recommendation. my friend mentioned my name and some of my marketable qualities, and i kinda got the job without an interview. how crazy is that? lol

in retrospect, i reflected upon the mechanism.

what exactly did i do?

1. i prayed to God.
why? well, i've tried all the sophisticated strategies recommended by experts and it didnt work. seriously, i've tried them all. so i reckon, maybe i should try things the old fashion way.

2. i tried to help as many people as i could (help that doesnt involve $$$ of course, hehe)
why? it's how nature works. u help ppl, and u're gonna get just that. simple. just don't ask for help from the person u've helped. lol that could be very disheartening.

3. tried to be comfortable and happy with whatever i had at the time ie lousy part time job, lousy pay, lousy car etc.
why? when we're happy and contented, we tend to gravitate good things to us. when we're frustrated, we give out negative auras that repel good things from coming. i know it sounds mumbo jumbo but for some reasons it worked for me.

i dont know, maybe u could give it a try? :)

I remember your post from a year ago. When I reappeared here, I remember someone posting that they'd been three years in the same predicament.

I myself was unemployed for a year after the 'failure' of my second post-doc and yes, I did wonder what the point of everything was. Like you, I also had family reasons why moving out of the area was not an option (my region is a well known unemployment blackspot - my username is a clue to roughly the area I'm from). However, a job did eventually come along and whilst it's not perfect I've been in that job now for five years.

Don't give up hope and keep trying. Something has to give in the end. I know many people frown on removing PhDs from CVs in order to enhance job prospects, but don;t be afraid to do this if it at least finds you a job. With the agreement of your former supervisors, pass it off as a fixed term Research Assistant position.

If you want to talk some more, by all means send me a PM.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)