Ugh ugh ugh, just ugh

I'm feeling really crappy this morning. I've just started my proper PhD (the second year of a 1+3), but I'm still doing experiments from my MRes year, to try to get a paper. It's finishing off a postdoc's work, but my experiments aren't working, my cells aren't behaving (admittedly there are others in the lab experiencing the same), and I'm feeling both incompetent and directionless. I dread meetings with my supervisor, when I have to present a small amount of data, all of it tosh, and generally not enjoying work one little bit. And it's Thursday, which should be the third best day of the week (after Friday and Saturday), yet I feel like crap.

:-(

M

I don't think anyone is immune to those crappy days. For example, I'm typing this for the second time as I accidentally hit the cancel instead of post button...

I struggled to get to my feet in the first few weeks of this phd what with having to get to grips with a new discipline and trying to wade my way through the research and the terminology. Sometimes I feel like a pre-schooler but I've come to accept those days and move on. My bugbear isn't cells, it's ethics committees which like cells, don't always play ball. Here's hoping you have a better Friday and an even better weekend. (mince)

B

Quote From Milly_Cat:

I don't think anyone is immune to those crappy days. For example, I'm typing this for the second time as I accidentally hit the cancel instead of post button...

I've done this twice today - once by hitting the "reply" button- that's not even close to "post"! Crappy day indeed!

I hope you feel better soon 4matt. Technically it's Friday now - such a joyous day. Everybody should be happy on a Friday :-)

P.S. Milly, how's your "course" going? ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist (mince)

M

Hahahaha Bleebles, that made me chuckle. Good one. (up)

H

======= Date Modified 22 Oct 2010 18:40:57 =======
Hi
I'm feeling the same way too today. My mechanism doesn't work as expected and I don't what else to do to make it work. I had discussed with my supervisor what are the possible causes/solutions, but didn't have the strength/energy to carry out the tests- I can't face/ accept anymore failures today. I'm afraid if all my work in this 1 year plus is a total waste. I have lab seminar soon, and don't know what to present as there's no good results yet. I'm feeling so guilty and really wonder if I will ever graduate... urrrgggghhhh :-(
I'm taking the day off tomorrow and hope to feel better on Sunday.