Uncertainty in a PhD

L

hang in there buddy!
i also drifted into my phd, because i didnt know what to do after my msc. and had no idea what phd really did involve. and just went for it, because it was in biology. how naive i was! i didnt even understand what the phd was about! after one year, i proved that it was not going to be successful and had to start on a new project, in year 2.

P

Thanks Laura, It seems to be a common issue for PhD students, that they go into a PhD not knowing what to expect. I know I that when I was an undergraduate and doing my MSc there was nothing else in my mind except to go onto a PhD, It something I had wanted to do since I started my first degree. But once you actually begin a PhD you realise or I did anyway that a PhD is nothing at all like being an undergraduate or MSc student. The dreams of doing something that is ground breaking and relevant soon faded away as I sit in front of my computer day after day working on something that nobody cares about( even my supervisor told me my project is nothing special). I just wish I spent more time to choose a PhD that I would enjoy and not accept the first thing that was offered. Guess hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

P

Thanks Lara, It seems to be a common issue for PhD students, that they go into a PhD not knowing what to expect. I know I that when I was an undergraduate and doing my MSc there was nothing else in my mind except to go onto a PhD, It something I had wanted to do since I started my first degree. But once you actually begin a PhD you realise or I did anyway that a PhD is nothing at all like being an undergraduate or MSc student. The dreams of doing something that is ground breaking and relevant soon faded away as I sit in front of my computer day after day working on something that nobody cares about( even my supervisor told me my project is nothing special). I just wish I spent more time to choose a PhD that I would enjoy and not accept the first thing that was offered. Guess hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

A

Lara, it really is comforting reading your posts- i have gone through a very similar phd experience- intimidation, fear etc.

PureHell, i was pretty naive too. I did one promising undergrad dissertation, and my department were like 'you'd be an excellent phd student' and i was like 'ok!'. My undergrad sup made the phd sound like a breeze and i foolishly believed him...word to future phders, do your research and actually know what a phd involves before you begin

A

yikes, am too in the same position- although my sup is supportive i still feel lost...i know it is not his job to take me b the hand and lead me to material and say 'here, research this', i just feel a bit overwhelmed because the material can be so vast and there is noone telling you to research the 'right way' so you never know where you are heading..

L

hey yikes, just checking in, how are you feeling ?

-------------

PureHellDayafterday, you're very welcome, and you really nailed it with your description of just wandering into a phd after doing a msc. you summed up exactly what i did and feel/felt!

i admire the fact your sticking with it and going for the mphil. besides i always thought Master of Philosophy sounds so much cooler, like master of the universe lol.

does your supervisor know your plans of Mphil?

i totally agree with you, i wish i had spent time choosing a phd, instead of accepting the first one that i was offered. i guess we learn by our mistakes! now i know next time, i wont commit to something unless i am really sure and have completely weighed all my options and researched it.

L

Angie, i'm glad also to hear i am not the only one that feels like that!

and excellent advice given there for would be phd'ers! you're so right!!

i guess at the end of the day, we can just try our best and see what happens. it's not the be and end of all things. but when you're doing a phd, it feels like its your whole life and your whole world and your defined by it. its easy to lose perspective and the bigger picture...

P

Hehe Your right Lara I have always thought He-Man (Master Of the Universe) was better than Dr Who
My supervisor does not know what I want to do, I dont really want to mention it because I kind of know what his reaction will be, Im sure it wont be a nice one and Im not sure if the funding body or University would accept it if I told them I had no intention of going on to the PhD. I think I will make sure I get the MPhil first before I tell them. My transfer report and viva for it are not to far away.

Y

Thanks for posts, it seems I am in a common position. I have come to similar conclusions and am going to continue with a more light hearted attitude - care free you could say. "my department were like 'you'd be an excellent phd student' and i was like 'ok!'" - I too found myself pigeon holed as a research student, this is not something I regret and hope that I might find my feet.

Y

My plan of action (based on this post):
1/ Continue, and accept that there will be a lot of friction between now and my transfer report.

2/ Lighten up and keep in mind this is possibly not meant for me, either at this time or ever!

3/ That I am getting payed to learn and that this is a rare oppurtunity, wither I continue to an MPhil or not (perhaps controversial).

4/ Time of no direction or confusion are common - and if this frustrates me, then I take a break.

5/ Get on with it and stop thinking about it so much!

Perhaps we should create some un-plugged PhD guides - for those who find themselves in such a situation - any to add?

T

just a small point, about whether you are doing up to the standard, that's where the supervisors fit in, unless you are very aware of the state-of-the-art(this is more an engineering term). my supervisor can easily see the validity of my suggested points. If your supervisors are too busy to check your work initiatively, how about you brief them regularly just summarizing what you have done and plan to do.