Undergrad MA

G

Hello,

I'm currently an undergrad MA hons student at a Scottish University and hope to do a Phd. However, I'm unsure as to what I need. I've been told by my postgraduate flatmate that I would need an MA, he insists what I'm doing now isn't a "real" Masters. Anyone know what's the truth> Thanks!

G

:-)

T

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. If you are already doing an MA why does your flatmate think it's not a real MA? What subject are you doing? From my experience, an MA is an MA whether it's taught or research.

(robin)

B

A Scottish MA(Hons) is a first degree, equivalent to an English BA(Hons). It is not a postgraduate Masters degree, which people typically need when they are intending to do a PhD. Scottish postgraduate taught Masters arts degrees are typically not MA degrees, but titled various things like MLitt or MPhil. It can be confusing! I have a Scottish MPhil which is a taught PG Masters, equivalent to an English MA.

You will almost certainly need to do a taught postgraduate Masters degree on the way to doing a PhD, unless you can get direct entry to a PhD without one. Which is unusual in the arts/humanities field.

(briefly delurking!)

G

HI treeoflife, that's exactly what's confusing me. I'm at MA Archaeology hons.