Unemployed, no prospects :(

C

Hello! I can't really offer any advice, but I sympathise with your situation :-(. A lot of the stuff you wrote could have been written by me. I have also finished my PhD and can't seem to find anything, whether it's academia, industry or unskilled. My skills are either not right, my experience not enough, or I'm overqualified. It's a complete pain - we've worked so hard to hard to get where we are, only for it to be absolutely pointless.

I also can't really move around the country - my husband has a good job, and as he's in the building/engineering industry it has been hit by the recession too, so he doesn't really fancy his chances in finding something else. He was already made redundant 2 years ago and luckily found this job straight away, but who's to say that he will be this lucky again?

Can you really not work voluntarily or anything while claming JSA? MY mother in law is constantly trying to tell me that I should sign on, because I can get expenses for voluntary work or for attending interviews. I have no idea if she's right or not - I haven't signed on because I'm not eligible for anything anyway. I'm stuck with living off my parents, which makes me feel so uncomfortable especially now that I'm married. In my defence however, I asked them why they were still giving me money now that I'm married (they said they wouldn't). My dad claims that I am still his daughter, so he's just going to keep doing that.... It doesn't make me feel much less guilty though. I've never asked for a penny off them :$

Anyway I've written some sort of essay here :$. I know I haven't really helped your situation, but at least you know that you are not alone. Come and chat to us when you're feeling down, because there's people here that understand :-)

Do any of you unemployed PhDs have any business ideas? I'm sure we could use our skills together to think of something :p

======= Date Modified 19 May 2011 16:07:48 =======
Your situation reads exactly the same as mine 3 to 4 years ago (N.E. England in my case). I also hid my PhD and went to massive lengths to do it (i.e. Research Assistant). I'm certain my current colleagues know (easily found on internet), but I choose not to talk about it.

I had the added problem of falling out with my line manager during a year's post-doc at a second University, so no reference from that position.

All I can say is keep plugging away and hopefully it won't take too long. I know you feel bad about hiding your PhD, but in all honesty, what is more important? A job (pays the bills) or the qualification?

And of course there's a place in the world for you. Your boyfriend loves you, right?

If depression is an issue, then see your GP and you may be referred to a counsellor. However, a fancy qualification is not a guarantee of a good job. If you think you're entitled to a good position because of that, that reads across very badly (arrogant even?) and may even make people believe you're being too fussy or not want a job.

Sorry girl, unless you relocate, then dumbing down may be the path you have to continue taking. But keep going, you will get there eventually. I've been there, I know.

And of course there's a place in the world for you. Ask your boyfriend. ;-)

C

Oh, and I agree with the voluntary work thing. Even if it doesn't lead to anything, it's experience and it makes you look keen :-) I've stayed on in the same research group where I did my PhD, and I've learned new techniques and it's quite enjoyable. And much better than sitting at home :-)

C

Sorry, I didn't see your other post before I posed my 2nd post. Must be quite irritating having everyone go "Do voluntary work!" at you when it's not an option. My apologies.

R

Yeah, my boyfriend is also lucky to have a job after having been rejected numerous times - I wouldn't fancy his chances of finding another job if we relocated together. Plus if we moved away from my parents the childcare costs would be horrendous.

If you claim JSA you're allowed to work for a few hours per week, but they take all of the money away from you and you only get to keep £5. Obviously you wouldn't earn anything from voluntary work. Since it costs £7 train fare to get into town from where I live, I'd be out of pocket if I worked a couple of afternoons per week, paid or voluntary - and when you're on the poverty line a tenner can make the difference between being fed or going hungry. You can claim expenses for interviews if you can prove you have one, but not for transport costs to a paid or voluntary job.

R

Did you ever get a job which utilised your qualifications, Mackem Beefy? Or are you still under-employed four years later?

I never said a qualification entitles me to a good job, but I thought that investing years in doing a PhD and struggling on a grant while working extremely hard would entitle me to something more than a job pulling pints (in fact I can't even get a job doing that anyway). You expect that if you put a lot of effort in you'll get at least something out of it; I made sacrifices to do my PhD because I thought it would pay off in the long run, but it's got me absolutely nowhere. In fact I'm probably worse off, because instead of doing the PhD I could have found an entry level job and worked my way up for five years, and I'd probably be in a good job now.

I know other single mothers who are studying in the hope of providing a better future for their kids; one of my friends is studying to be a nurse and the other is training to be a teacher, because they want to get into professional careers with decent salaries and provide a good life for their children. That's what I thought I was doing too - I've let everyone down, especially my daughter :(

C

Just to say that having been recently unemployed I had read the stuff recently about voluteering, you can still claim jobseekers and volunteer and often who you're volunteering for pay your travel, obviously if you were volunteering in industry you would have to ask them directly for travel expenses rather than volunteering for charities etc who automatically give you travel.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/Volunteering/DG_064299

But I hope that you find a paid job soon so that you don't have to volunteer! Just don't give up, I think I had to apply for about 300+ jobs just to get a job in a supermarket last year, it's so heart-breaking and soul destroying at times I know, but just keep trying!

H

Quote From rigel34:

I haven't just been rejected from three jobs - the three jobs were jobs in my field which I really wanted. I've also been rejected from dozens of other jobs ranging from barmaid and receptionist to sixth form lecturer and staff trainer. Not only am I not good enough to be offered a academic or research job, I'm not even good enough to pull pints for minimum wage.

Ok, so you've been rejected from 3 decent jobs (a common experience) because maybe there just was someone else better than you on the day. And rejected from less skilled work because you're over qualified and, by your own admission, you're perceived as unlikely to stick around if something better comes up.

Neither of those things says your worthless. Even if you think the rest of my advice is meaningless, then take my advice about separating the practical stuff from your sense of self esteem. You're building some things up way too much (rejection from pub work as a measure of self worth) and it's just not helpful. Focus on the reality which is that you're highly skilled and qualified but the job market is rubbish.

R

I think they limit your volunteering to about 10-15 hours per week though. A lot of companies don't want voluntary workers if they have to pay their transport costs, and I can't afford to pay my own transport. Also they sometimes can't take voluntary workers for insurance reasons, because it would cost them money to insure you to use equipment or work in the lab etc.

I tried asking about voluntary work, and as well as being told they couldn't accommodate me for insurance reasons etc, some companies also said "We don't need you - if we needed someone we'd advertise", "Having you there would slow down the work of our full time staff and inconvenience them", etc. They don't want me even if I had the money to pay my train fares :(

R

Quote From hazyjane:

Ok, so you've been rejected from 3 decent jobs (a common experience) because maybe there just was someone else better than you on the day.

What got me about one particular job (my dream job) was that they wanted several employees because they needed to expand the research team, so it wasn't that there was someone better than me, they just didn't want me. They're still advertising for more team members :(

I will try to take your advice about not taking things personally; I know the job market is rubbish at present.

D

Quote From rigel34:

I've let everyone down, especially my daughter :(

I have yet to complete my PhD and enter the job market myself and like you I have children to consider. My location will be restricted by my husbands job and this is what we all depend on while I finish my PhD. I have admiration for you in completing your PhD. This shows you are a strong charactor and can succeed. It was a hard road but you did it, and you can also find work. It may be a while before something comes up, or tomorrow. Unfortunately the financial climate is casting a job crisis on all levels, non-skilled to qualified. Just keep trying. Your daughter will never think you have let her down. Quite the opposite, she loves you and thinks you are the best. She won't worry about jumble sale toys, hey mine get those too and love rummaging for something new! If they had their way we would bring back the entire sales toys lol. The important thing children need is love, guidance and above all, their parents company. Money means nothing to them but you mean the world to her. Keep smiling and have some hugs with your daughter, you are doing very well in a very tough time.

W

Have you considered online adjunct faculty positions? University of Phoenix, Devry, Colorado Tech, and a whole bunch of other universities have positions for faculty to teach courses from home. From what I hear, they don't pay great, but probably well over minimum wage, and you may find you get satisfaction in teaching. Try Googling "online faculty jobs" and your subject area.

M

"did you ever get a job that utilised your qualifications years later?"

I did. After 6 years of hard work and doing things I didn't want to do and countless disappointments.

Everyone has things they want and obstacles in the way of those things. But you have to try and find a way to pick yourself back up and get back out there in spite of the difficulties. One of those difficulties is overcoming the negativity you feel towards your current situation. It's not ideal granted but it's not permanent and it's not your fault.

R

======= Date Modified 19 May 2011 17:17:37 =======

Quote From dunni73:

I have yet to complete my PhD and enter the job market myself and like you I have children to consider.

Thanks for your supportive reply :)
Quote From who_me:

Have you considered online adjunct faculty positions? University of Phoenix, Devry, Colorado Tech, and a whole bunch of other universities have positions for faculty to teach courses from home.

I am in the UK.
Quote From Milly_Cat:

"did you ever get a job that utilised your qualifications years later?"

I did. After 6 years of hard work and doing things I didn't want to do and countless disappointments.

6 years... :(

K

======= Date Modified 19 May 2011 17:20:34 =======
Rigel, did you get any feedback from the 3 'decent' jobs that you were rejected for? Just wondering if there is anything you could do that might give you a stronger chance...obviously it costs loads to go to conferences and present, but could you be writing any publications whilst you're out of work that might give you a stronger chance next time a suitable job crops up? Maybe you already have some, or maybe they are not valued so much in your subject, I don't know. I had a job interview earlier in the week that unfortch I didn't get (beaten by someone who already has a post-doc under their belt) but they said they actually considered taking me on instead of the other candidate based mainly on my publications. Just a thought. Best, KB