Unfulfilled by phd

J

I haven't felt fulfilled by my phd in comparison to my previous employment history. I have a fairly good memory though I am unable to retain information relating to my phd and I think it is because it doesn't interest me. For these reasons and financial reasons I am strongly considering quitting. I have just done 9 months, so still early days. Do you think I am doing the right thing?

D

Quote From Jonnyt:

I have a fairly good memory though I am unable to retain information relating to my phd and I think it is because it doesn't interest me.

I have exactly the same problem and believe it's for the same reason. I thought you had quit?

If you think quitting is the right thing to do, then another 2 to 3 years is a long time for something you're not interested in.

However, don't quit until you have secured a job as it's a hard world out there at the moment.

Is there anyway you can change its direction so it becomes something more interesting for you? I changed my PhD completely apart from its subject area after the 2nd year. I even managed to find an external to support the new elements. My supervisors agreed as it is natural for change to happen in a research project. Good luck!

B

I persevered in trying to like my PhD for two years. I have just suspended but will not be going back to it but instead will reapply to do part-time subject with different supervisor who is the best in that field. The last year has made me ill with stress and depression and my relationship with my supervisor has always been awful (my respect for said second-rate super is now non-existent). I have had a successful previous career and I want to feel like that person again, not the under-confident gibbering wreck that all the toxicity has turned me into. if any of this resonates, don't wait as long as I did!
All the best and good luck.