Unhappy about accommodation decision

S

I'm an international student and though I've lived in the UK before, I'm going to do my PhD in a new city. Since I don't know anyone and don't know the city well I've applied for university accommodation and got an ensuite room. Later I read that its a very noisy area and that postgrads don't have separate buildings..It would mean I would have to live with noisy undergrads, I'm not even sure if I want to have friends that young. Since I already accepted the accommodation offer it would be costly to get out and also I don't know how reliable gumtree or spareroom.co.uk ads are. I would still need to see the house before renting and I won't be coming to UK until september. I envy people living with other PhD students for having a quiet yet social environment and started to regret my accommodation decision. It makes me very unhappy, any recommendations?

C

I would personally give it a chance. It might not be as bad as you think and anyway, your options for fixing it ahead of September are very limited - if you do want to move later, you'll be in a much better position after getting to know the city, rather than trying to make decisions based on what you can read online.

D

I have lived in the residence for the past 3 years because it is cheap, I can live in the centre, and I walk to walk everyday. I save in commuting, and also enjoy a stroll through the park. Moreover, I prefer it over flat shares, as I avoid all the friction with flatmates and compromises you have to make when you share a space. At least in the residence I am completely independent. In an ideal world, I would have a lovely, sunny studio all by myself, unfortunately I cannot afford it. On the downside, door slamming and fire alarms in the residence drive me mad. People in the residence are quite social too, they organise parties, film clubs and dinners, but I don't have time for that. It is so much fun when you try to finish but need to work to survive!

S

hi sollinatri
is there a way you can decline this accommodation? If not, perhaps you can just stay there for one semester and then move somewhere else once you are already in the UK and have had a chance to look at the new place to rent.

love satchi