Uni of East Anglia or Uni Bath for Int'l Development

M

======= Date Modified 15 May 2011 15:50:48 =======
I am an American looking to study in the UK. I was accepted to University of East Anglia, University of Bath, and Newcastle. I narrowed it down between University of East Anglia and University of Bath. I would like to go to UEA since their International Development Department is in the top 3. But I have been turned off by them as of late. When I ask questions, its like pulling teeth and the questions never really get answered. Its like I am speaking a different language (one they don't understand). However, as an international student who is going to be paying cash ($25K to be exact) I should be entitled to ask questions and have them answered. If this is the way they are treating me now, how will they treat me when I am there?

Someone help!

M

Hi, I did my first degree in international studies at UEA, though that was back when it was called 'Development Studies'. :) I loved the course and would highly recommend it. However, that was a while ago now (quite a long while ...) and I don't know how/if it has changed.

As regards the 'rudeness' you have encountered, I really can't comment on that. When I was there everybody was very friendly and helpful. I have lived in the UK for more than 20 years and I have to say I really don't find the British rude at all! There are individual exceptions, of course, but you find that in every country. Maybe try contacting them again? Have you just been talking to one particular person? Maybe it's worth trying somebody else?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

B

UEA definitely has the repuation for development - what sorts of questions are you asking? Maybe if it's for things like reading lists, it's because next year's are not yet prepared? The other thing you perhaps need to be aware of (particularly if you did your undergrad degree at a LAC in the USA), that in Europe generally students are expected to be more independent than in the US, so it might be that there are genuine cross-cultural communication problems occuring i.e. that the staff view your questions as inappropriate and hence are responding in an off-putting fashion. That said the British depts tend to be so international, that there's a good chance that the people you are in touch with aren't British anyway.

I didn't even know Bath did a course in int devpt but it's a nice city! Newcastle is known for being good on the international political economy side if that's of any interest - I have a friend who did am MA in IPE there and thought it was fantastic and that the staff were very friendly and helpful. Again a great place to live - much more of a city vibe though than the other places.

M

Quote From bewildered:

UEA definitely has the repuation for development - what sorts of questions are you asking? Maybe if it's for things like reading lists, it's because next year's are not yet prepared? The other thing you perhaps need to be aware of (particularly if you did your undergrad degree at a LAC in the USA), that in Europe generally students are expected to be more independent than in the US, so it might be that there are genuine cross-cultural communication problems occuring i.e. that the staff view your questions as inappropriate and hence are responding in an off-putting fashion. That said the British depts tend to be so international, that there's a good chance that the people you are in touch with aren't British anyway.

I didn't even know Bath did a course in int devpt but it's a nice city! Newcastle is known for being good on the international political economy side if that's of any interest - I have a friend who did am MA in IPE there and thought it was fantastic and that the staff were very friendly and helpful. Again a great place to live - much more of a city vibe though than the other places.

Hello "bewildered". Thanks for your response. My questions are basic ones. The question that I asked that got my really wondering about this school was which residence was for postgraduates. The residences for undergraduates and postgraduates listed online were the same. Until now, I still don't have an answer. Seems like they are beating around the bush or being difficult about such a simple question.
As you stated, I have heard about students having to be more independent in UK with education. I hope hat doesn't take away from actually "teaching" though. The people I have been in contact with are British. As you said, I find it quite surprising that with most UK schools having a much as 30% international students and getting a large part of funding from them, UEA would act this way. As an institution, they have more experiences with international students and should be well versed in dealing with people of various nationalities.
I will be a mature student. I have lived, traveled, studied overseas since I was 8. In my line of work, I deal with people of different nationalities. I am a 1st generation in my country. So, I am not new to this. But, for $25K I would expect more from a university. In the end, its all about the money.

D

The accommodation for postgrads and undergrads are likely to be the same.  The pricing info for UEA gives details of the accommodation for both student types and there is overlap in the accommodation. The monthly premiums alone usually determine the type of accommodation you have rather than the course.  Maybe you need to speak to someone specifically about your queries as emails are generally given standard replies. The approach you take will influence the response you will receive, so this is something to bear in mind.  From your post, it appears that you feel that a better and more comprehensive response is automatically expected due to the monies being spent, however, there will be lots of other students (international or UK) who have the same cash available to pay. Money does not mean better treatment, as in, all are treated the same.

As far as both locations are concerned (UEA and Bath), UEA will be in a quieter city, I never really gelled with the place myself although the uni was good place to study.  Bath has more character, prestige and history, yet the main uni campus is out on the outskirts of town. Bath is also home to the famous 'Norland Nannies' which makes it quite quaint seeing the students wandering around in their uniforms lol.  Both have good facilities so I guess for me the location and/or reputation would be the deciding factors.