University Distance and Flexibility

H

Hi all!

I am thinking of applying to a university for a PhD that is around 2 hours drive away from where I am currently living. I have the option obviously to move there. However, is it possible for me to live where I am currently living and commute in say once a week, or become affiliated to the local university library? I am just not sure whether living far from the university would be an option or not? Is anyone in that situation? How does it work? Are the departments generally flexible about these things?

Thanks!

Chococake

J

A lot depends on whether you are part time or full time, what your subejct is etc. I live about 40 minutes from my uni and rarely go in (maybe once a month - more in vacatiosn as I am not teaching at teh uni I work at). But I am part-time and in the Social Sciences. If you are full time (esp if funded) and / or need lab work (sciences, psychology etc) then you would probably have to go in more frequently. I really only go in to pick up library books (and few of those as journals are electronic), meet with supervisors and show my face around the place.

I live 3 hours away from my uni - coupled with an expensive train ticket. For the first 2 years I was going in about once or twice a week (after peak train hours :p ), but now I'm only going in for meetings/if I have to.

it really depends on the subject, but also the culture of the group you are working in. If everyone else is doing the same then fine, but you may be a group where they all work 8am-8pm in the office and if you don't you may be perceived as lazy, or at any rate, if any jobs come up you won't be the one who is thought of first.

I always try to make sure I'm in when they go for work drinks etc so I am up to date with all the gossip/jobs situations.

H

======= Date Modified 17 Sep 2010 11:25:00 =======
Thank you. Is there an option to become affiliated to another university? I have two universities in the city where I am currently living.

I have another uni - actually the uni I did my undergrad in, in my current city. You can do the sconul (?) scheme to use their libraries and a lot of unis will let you have access to their online stuff for a small fee, although I'm not sure if you have to be affiliated with them in some way (i.e. I'm a graduate).

The key thing about being in the office at the uni where you are funded is the networking, 'being seen', rather than actually working IMO, but I work a lot better at home. Its good to have a separate room/space for your work if you do work from home.

H

Sneaks: How far is the university you are at from where you are living?

I haven't obviously decided but I don't know whether I should bring that up when I'm in talks with the supervisor or mention it after I get an offer (fingers crossed)?

The uni I am doing my PhD at is about a 3 hour journey door to door if I go by train and that journey costs about £50.

THe uni in my town is about 10 mins away - I used it a lot in my first year for the library, but now nearly everything I need is online, or I just buy books off amazon cos I'm lazy :p

If it were me, I wouldn't bring it up with the supervisor, I would wait and see what the culture of the group is. But do be prepared to work full time in the office, as they may require it, don't assume you will be able to work from home

H

Quote From sneaks:

The uni I am doing my PhD at is about a 3 hour journey door to door if I go by train and that journey costs about £50.

THe uni in my town is about 10 mins away - I used it a lot in my first year for the library, but now nearly everything I need is online, or I just buy books off amazon cos I'm lazy :p

If it were me, I wouldn't bring it up with the supervisor, I would wait and see what the culture of the group is. But do be prepared to work full time in the office, as they may require it, don't assume you will be able to work from home

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

M

======= Date Modified 17 Sep 2010 12:01:02 =======
I work and study at two different unis. In both unis the postgrads are expected to work in the labs/at their desks/in their offices everyday unless they are attending conferences/meetings or collecting data. In the uni I work at where I did my undergrad they schmush them all into this hideous room where they sit cheek to jowl at little workstations. Sups are often breezing in and out and there isn't much freedom to get away. In the same uni in the dept I work in the postgrads come and go as they please. I didn't see some of them except maybe once a month but two have just passed without corrections so they must have been working somewhere. Thus it can vary widely even within institutions. I agree you have to suss out the culture of the dept and what the perceptions of you will be if you're not a regular fixture. In the uni I'm doing my phd at, postgrads are expected to make the most of their opportunities but how they go about this is their own
business unless they are funded in which case they like to see you in the office most days of the week. This is why I did not do my phd in the same
uni that I did my undergrad. Also my experience with
that particular dept was appalling. I was also in paid employment in another dept (totally unrelated subject) and I loved it.

N

I have done my undergrad and I'm now finishing my MSc at a uni which is just over an hour's drive from me, and just under 2 hours on the train. I am starting my PhD in January and they are aware of how far away I live. My department is quite friendly and flexible - I have an office space but I don't have to use it eveyday - it is there if I need it. I am working from home a lot at the moment because I am finishing my dissertation, I go in about once a fortnight. When I start my PhD I will probably go in twice a week and work from home the rest of the time. I prefer working from home most of the time and it fits well around my part time job and other responsibilities - I don't usually do a typical 9-5 day as I work in the afternoons as a PA, but I work mornings and evenings.

I wasn't aware of being able to use other university libraries though - there is a university near me so I might check that out.