Unofficial deadlines with supervisors

N

This question probably sounds really mundane, but if you have an unofficial deadline with your supervisors, like to email them a piece of writing on a specific day for discussion in the next meeting - what time of day would you usually want to submit it by? I have a deadline today and should be done by 4pm but does that sound too late? They never specify times and we have a meeting next Wednesday so they probably won't read it until Monday anyway, and it is quite short. I'm probably worrying over nothing but this is my first little submission to them so want to get it right!

Nx

S

I'd say that the end of the day is fine. Official deadlines for various things (job applications, abstract submissions, etc) tend to be at the end of the day so I'd go with that. Mind you, my supervisors have been taking months to get comments back to me and the deadlines are only for my own benefit... But I wouldn't worry.

A

I agree with Star-Shaped. Once you get it in today, you will have fulfilled your end of the bargain. Try not to worry, it takes a while for a submission pattern that suits everybody to become established.

I tried physically handing my supv hardcopies as that way I knew for sure that he had them but he lost a couple and also left a few lying around the photocopier :$. He told me once that he thinks it's hysterically funny that I keep to 'agreed' deadlines which was a bit unsettling!!! Does everybody else not?!? I also never found out where the lost copies got to!

I agree too. My supervisors tend not to specify a time but are always happy as long as it reaches them by the end of the day. A couple of times one supervisor has said 'lunchtime because I need to print it and take it with me on a train'; once or twice I submitted stuff at 7pm when they'd finished work for the day and they didn't comment on that. So I would go with end of the day unless they specify!

N

I'd agree, you really shouldn't worry about this; I'm sure if they'd wanted it by 12:00 this would have been stipulated. I think they'll simply be pleased you submitted work on the agreed date and happy you're making progress.

N

Thanks, was too busy to reply the other day but in the end I sent it at 6pm and they haven't told me it was too late yet. Will try to stop worrying about the little things so much! Nx

N

Thanks, was too busy to reply the other day but in the end I sent it at 6pm and they haven't told me it was too late yet. Will try to stop worrying about the little things so much! Nx

N

======= Date Modified 08 Feb 2011 13:54:29 =======

edit: sorry for triple post!

K

Haha, I'm a big fan of the 'I need this by Thursday' (or whatever day) statement. I appreciate it probably means by the end of the working day i.e. around 5pm, but I have occasionally left it to 11pm and then argued that it was still on time! I wouldn't recommend this approach as it does tend to piss people off, but I think you're fine to leave it to the end of the 'working day'! Best, KB