Upgrade- the time it takes and how to get by without the next installment of studentship

B

I am very concerned. I submitted my transfer report 4 weeks ago with the plan to have the viva two weeks following. However, this has stalled and it is very concerning because my studentship has stopped as I await the upgrade. I think this is very unfair. I handed in the report on time but its being held up by others. I am actually considering quiting because I am in such a bad financial situation now.

Your thoughts?

J

Do you know exactly who is stalling it? I have come across some very bad administration in universities, and it can be hard to know whose arse needs kicking. Perhaps you can find a rep from the Union, but really your supervisor should be kicking off on your behalf.

B

Well I think its the postgrad supervisor. Saw him today and asked but he just said that things were taking longer than expected. I think this is ridiculous.

A

Why has your studentship stopped? Do you mean your bursary or have they suspended your registration too? Never heard of this happening whilst awaiting an upgrade! Presumably, if the worst happened and the transfer wasn't approved (NB I'm not suggesting that this is in any way likely to happen, just theorising here), you'd carry on and complete an Mphil?

B

Hi Ann,

Well I use the term studentship because thought that was the correct term. What I mean is the funding (call it studentship, bursary, salary etc) has stopped because I havent upgraded, and I havent upgraded because Im waiting for my transfer viva!

Nightmare

B

Yes thats a good idea thanks!