Upgrading seminar next term: Arghhhh!

P

Hello!

I've been told to start thinking about an upgrade seminar for next term. Although my supervisor has reassured me that I've got nothing to worry about, I'm starting to panic! Does anyone have any experiences of this? Many thanks for any comments!

S

i was terrified for mine but it went really well. i spend ages learning my presentation etc bu they were really positive. i just had to justify what i was planning and why they didnt ask me any really difficult questions.

B

Hi pineapple

Me too. Does your institution not have any guidance notes you can look at? If not, you can look at the one's from mine.

http://www.ioe.ac.uk/doctoralschool/Upgrading.pdf

There's also an indication of timetabling and what happens vis-a-vis the upgrade process here.

http://www.ioe.ac.uk/doctoralschool/Upgrading_timetable.pdf

Our institution also gives a seminar on upgrading once or twice a year - in fact, I'm going to mine next Monday. Maybe you could check if they do this at your place.

Upgrading apparently varies depending on discipline. My institute is quite strict and the upgrade process is taken quite seriously - and is treated a bit like a mini viva. I'm not too worried, though - in fact, I appreciate the chance to practice - and the opportunity to prepare.

B

That said - when it comes down to it - I'll probably be quaking in my boots! *laughing*

P

hiya! I sent this message about upgrading a few months back, now its fast approaching and im panicking big time. I know what I want to do, I've written about 10k worth of my literature review...My supervisors are saying I've got nothing to worry about, but I'm really sh*t scared. I have a mock coming up at the end of Nov...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

P

Also, im doing my pilot study soon, so I'm really worrying about fitting it all in!

B

Hi Pineapple

Funny we should arrive back on this thread at the same time. I got my date for upgrading a couple of days ago... and immediately went 'EEK!' even though it's at least 6 weeks away.

Tips on prep for you... know what's in your Lit Review and how it relates to your research questions, think about how it's furthered your ideas and how it feeds into your upcoming pilot study. Think ahead to your plans for the pilot and make some notes to help you talk this through with the upgrade panel if need be.

What I'm planning to do is to read through the chapters I submitted (lit review, methodology and pilot) and make sure I understand and can talk about what I've written. If there's anything I'm not clear on - I'll make a note of my questions and doubts (on the basis that these are things the panel are likely to ask about).

B

Do you know the people on your upgrade panel? It helps if you know them and their interests - because that can help guide you towards their thinking, I guess.

You might find the info on this site helpful.

http://homepage.mac.com/paulcdowling/ioe/upgrading/upgrading.html

Good luck!

O

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but Bakuvia, are you also a nocturnal worker or just in a more Western time zone?

S

dont panic, you can make it

B

Hi o.stoll - not normally a nocturnal owl but sometimes sleep fails me. *laughing* - then I find myself tapping away at the keyboard... usually drifting rather than working, hence this early morning posting. Not western or eastern - totally GMT.

R

Hi pineapple,

I did my upgrade last March and was TERRIFIED at the time but actually it wasn't so bad in hindsight. I had to do a report on what I had done so far and also a proposal for future plans. The external examiner that the department got for me was only able to be involved on a particular week so I had 3 weeks to get report, proposal and presentation together!!! I nearly went insane in the lead up to it

But looking back now it was actually OK - I think they are really 'on your side' and want you to succeed, so I don't think they are trying to catch you out or pick holes in what you're doing (like they might be in the final viva - now that will be scary!).

Good luck and I hope it goes well

R

P.S. It sounds from your other thread that you have got loads of work done, I don't think you have anything to worry about!