Urban History Anybody?

P

Anybody here specializing in the topic of Urban History? As this field is relatively new and very interdisciplinary, I'd like to see what sort of other disciplines anybody out there is incorporating. I am thinking of using the Sociologist Lewis Coser's "Conflict Theory" in dealing with the idea of nationalism, class, religion and gender. Please share with me your points of views.

S

The field isn't that new - the journal Urban History Yearbook has been going since the 70s, and Leicester has had a research centre there for years (once led by Richard Rodger, but he left last summer I believe)...

S

Oh, you should also look at Ulrich Beck's argument that conflict is the driving force of integration which supports both Coser and Simmel

F

Depends what aspect, as I am in a geography department, and some aspects of your topic come under human geography.

P

Guys thanks for your reply.

Sleepyhead, I know that the JUH has been there since the 70s and there is another by Leicester. What I mean is that it's relatively new when compared with other disciplines within history and within the field of humanities in general.

I will check Beck. I am still not sure of using theories. I have mentioned in my methodology paper that the several theories I have picked are just for analytical purposes, no more. I hate to confine myself with theories.

D

Hey, sounds interesting. I am researching urban modelling techniques.

Are you looking at any cities in particular? Will you be using any computer models?

Can we contact individuals directly on this site?

Danny