Urgent advice needed

K

======= Date Modified 29 46 2010 23:46:58 =======
Sorry for the dramatic nature of the title but hoped it would get people's attention quickly ,-)

My sup is editing a special edition of a very good journal and I am submitting a paper to it. It's in no means guaranteed that I'll get in but he's been clear that it would look good for him also if I can. I've already been given a month's extension as I had to had to hand in my mid point report on the same day the article was due and there was just no way I could get them both done. However, I'm supposed to be submitting tomorrow and the thing is still a mess. It needs some serious editing, references added, footnotes sorted out etc. Is it best to break my back and submit a lower-quality article tomorrow, on time, or ask for another week to give time for editing? I still wouldn't have masses of time to work on it as I have my mid point viva this week which I need to prepare for and various other things, but it might stop me making silly mistakes. I'm completely torn. Help!

N

Hi KC - I've never been in this situation so don't know how useful my advice would be, but at this time when its late and you're stressed I hope I can help a little bit.

I think that your PhD work should come first, although it would be fantastic if you could submit your article to this journal. I think that your supervisor should, and probably would, understand that you have been very busy with your PhD deadlines so you wouldn't have had as much time to do this article as you would have liked. As he is editing the journal he has more say over what goes into it - I would assume that you would have a good chance being his student. I think I would ask for another extension over the weekend and ask if you can submit on Monday. If he doesn't agree to this, submit what you have done, but on a separate document explain the changes that you want to make if appropriate.

S

Hi KC

I'd polish it and submit it later. You don't want to hand in something substandard - it will make you look bad and could damage your reputation, especially if it goes to peer review and not just to your supervisor. Academics are always late submitting things I've found and so if you're late this maybe won't be such a big deal. Better to be in trouble for lateness rather than sloppiness I think!

K

Hi,

Thanks so much for the advice. I think what I will do is send him the document tomorrow asking for an extension and outlining- as you suggest Natassia- the changes I will make if I'm given time. That'll hopefully show him that it is close to completion. And that's a very good point about the peer review Sue. I hate handing things in late and I'm so tired of looking at the damn thing but I know how picky journals can be so it needs to be polished if it's to have any chance.

Thanks again.