US PhD-support tax free?

N

Hi, does anybody know if stipend support in the US is tax-free?
Some financial support offers seem just too great.

S

remember it is dollars, not pounds.

N

Yeah probably.
But I'm from continental Europe and even after conversion in EUR it sounds good. Here in France an average scholarship in my subject (molecular biology) is about 1100 EUR (~770 pound).

S

is that per month?

Some studentships in the UK can be up to £17,000 per year tax free

A

That's great but students on £17k tax-free per year are going to be a bit gutted when they get their first post-doc and get taxed on £20k

S

Very true, I'm not on one of those high paid studentships though.

no-idea, the average studentship is probably little over £12k in UK

N

"is that per month?"
NO, that's per week
no just kidding, but with 12k pound you're still better of than most French students

S

well it could have been per semester, or per academic year. So don't be a dick about it

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and I don't like it

N

@Stu

Didn't mean to bother you - but thanks for the replies anyway

A

I got only 10 000 a year (i.e. 820 a month) but am living in Brighton, which is very expensive, i.e. I pay 350 rent a month. So if I get a postdoc anywhere else I will be probably better off than I am now.
err- no-idea, I don't know if your stipend will be tax free in the US. Did you try to look this up on the websites of the US universities you are interested in?

S

I'm assuming they ARE tax-free. But they may include things like you have to teach or supervise undergrad labs or something.

worth looking into though, i would have liked to study in the US of A

N

@DanB.
Thanks, that's definitely a question that needs to be clarified in advance. I wasn't aware of that point.