Using Buzan Mind Mapping software

S

I am realising the benefit of mindmapping (using words, colour and pictures) to both my study (literature review etc) and running workshops but now I am trying to decide whether to invest in the more expensive Buzan Mindmapping software (seems to involve more creativity than others) rather than the cheaper versions, does anyone have any experience of this. Is it worth the extra cost?

J

I use mindmanager by mindjet which I find really useful (especially as you can export it to powerpoint or word so it's great for planning presentations). I bought it when I was doing my MSc a few years ago and from what I remember I got it at a special student rate (I think it was around £60). Can't comment on Tony Buzan's I'm afraid (but I've used the books for years and have also bought the children's book which provides a great intro for them).

J

My husband has just found a site called www.studentexpressware.co.uk which has mindjet for £58 or £34 for an upgrade from a previous version which I think I am going to invest in.

S

Thank you for your quick response - am now going to look at that one!

J

The best place to look is on the mindjet website as that gives info on what you get / what it can do. It doesn't do pictures as well as the Tony Buzan one seems to do but I'm not sure how useful pictures are.

Prompt response is because looking at the forum is preferable to revising my methodology (in theory today is a research day) or marking first year undergrad essays)!!

S

The Student Siftware site seems a bit odd...I have registered but now when I try to search the site I am bounced to a 'page not found' message - is this site genuine? Have you used it before?
I understand the lure of anything to avoid focusing on the reading/rewriting of academic work...I am fascinated by my need to search for software to help me study vs the actual 'getting down to it'...

J

Another update
amazon has the student version http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindjet-MindManager-Education-PC-CD/dp/B001LK7DKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1268734836&sr=1-1 for £63 for educational users. I tried to buy the upgrade from the other site but it doens't seem to be working.

B

I use Inspiration which is another piece of mind-mapping software, and was bought for me through my Disabled Students' Allowance many years ago. To be honest I would think any piece of mind-mapping software would be fine. It's what you put into it that counts :p