Using Dr Title ...

D

I have read some posts here from people who consider using the title Dr in the 'real world' as somehow wrong. This confuses me for two reasons, first why use it at all, there is no need to use it professionally either, just use the letters PhD after your name on your CV when necessary; this would be a truly principled stand. Secondly why assume that people without the title Dr are intimidated, I can assure you they largely are not, it would be arrogant to assume so. It seems that not using it in 'real life' is more about insecurity and being worried about what other people might think - after all you may be getting above yourself!!

A

drwhoknows - obviously we know very different people. some of the people in my previous job were very openly hostile when they found out i was leaving to do a phd. the few people who know that aren't close friends (i now tell people i work at the university) said that they felt like i was judging them on what they were saying (that may also be linked to the fact that i come from a psychology background and people believe me to be psychic).

there is an element of snobbery linked to taking on a phd in my experience which is, in my opinion ridiculous. therefore, i get around people thinking i'm a snob by just not telling them. it's not important. i get paid by the university, i have an office in the uni and i have a supervisor in the uni. why on earth would they need/want to know that i'm a dr (or, at the moment, a phd student).

A

D

I agree, no need to force the info on people! It is really sad that you have had such negative exeriences, however I still believe that you should not be intimidated into pretending that you are someone else to appease the petty jealousies of a minority. To be fair most people will be impressed, amazed (in my case!), disinterested or interested. Walk tall

P

i was discussing the use of titles with some friends (phd and non phd) and their answers made me laugh. Ones without said if i used it would be a snob and except special treatment and it would make others uncomfortable. but why should me doing all this work make others uncomfortable.. and surely thats what the title is for? i dont understand why we need to dumb down what we have done not to offend others?

H

End of the day, it's a title just like Mr/Ms/Mrs/Rev/Rt Hon/Lt Hon/Sir/Lady/HRH/Oi, etc.
If it makes people uncomfortable (you using your title), that's their problem. It all boils down to your personal choice: I haven't changed just because I have two new letters in front of my name (or three after it. Perhaps I'll even employ all 5: Dr Hypothesis, PhD) Personally I shall use it on government and banking forms (since they are so far up somewhere personal they can look out their own mouths) or to beat some irritating jobsworth into intellectual obscurity where they should all have stayed in the first place.

M

I agree with you Hypothesis! Apart from the use of "Dr Hypothesis, PhD" ...that's considered tautological.

Although maybe if everyone with the 'Dr' title did write PhD, MD, DPhil, DNP, etc. after their names, thus defining their speciality, it would solve some problems.