Using my married name

D

Hey, I've just recently obtained my PhD (thank goodness that is over!) and I'm getting married later this year :)

When I have finished my current post doc I'm planning to move far far away from academia as it's definitely not the career for me!

What I want to know is, if I take my husbands surname, can I still use the Dr title (i.e. If I'm Dr. Cake now, can I become Dr. Married ?). I have no interest in an academic career, so someone not being able to do a search for my publications would not bother me one jot.

Is this perfectly acceptable? As I've worked so damn hard to be able to be Dr. it seems a shame to not use it, and I also would very much like to take my husbands name.

H

======= Date Modified 16 Jun 2011 16:18:38 =======
Gosh I hadn't thought of that. I am married but I haven't changed my surname. I do have plans to though in the future. Maybe I should do it before I publish ...

Yes you can use Dr name even if you change your surname. You are still you and have earned it :)

D

Thank you for the reply. Has definitely put my mind at rest <3

D

I have used my maiden name for publications and my PhD so far, continuing to do so even though I have taken my husbands name post marriage. I plan to continue publications in my maiden name but use my married name for everything else in life. If I pass my PhD I plan to use Dr. for my married name and my maiden name (in the case of publications). I think for me consistent publications in one name is important so adding my married name now might confuse things. Yet day-to-day having my children in my married name whilst I use my maiden name raises quite a few eyebrows, so it is easier as a family that we all have the same name. Gosh, that is confusing :p

K

I am planning to stick to my maiden name for academic stuff after I get married, although I will take on my fiance's name for everything non-academic. I don't like the idea of having a load of publications in one name and then when you change your name no-one realising that they are yours, although I am aware that some researchers use both surnames with a hyphen in the middle! Also, as petty as it sounds, my surname is quite unusual so I think it would be more memorable in terms of research purposes, whereas my fiance has a very common surname that wouldn't really be memorable. I know that is a bit silly but I just like my surname more! KB

T

You will still be dr whichever name you choose - you could even change your name by deed poll if you wanted to! I am married but still use my maiden name as I don't like the idea of changing. Also I live in Italy and nobody changes their name here - it isn't even possible so it would be seen as weird if I had the same name as my husband! People might think we were brother and sister! Also I am already a Dr here - everyone is when they have a degree so I have to use Dr at work anyway otherwise people would presume I didn't have a degree. Have to be careful not to use it in the UK though!