Using PhD students as research assistants?

B

I started my PhD in October.

Is it common practice for universities to use their PhD students as research assistants? To date, I have done zero work on my PhD and I am working 9-5 on my supervisor's separate project.

Your views please?

S

Obviously you shouldn't be used as an RA, and if this is what your supervisor is doing then they are in the wrong. I would suggest a couple of things however. Most importantly, speak to your supervisor about it (most problems seem to come down to a lack of communication). They may not realise how time consuming the work they've given you is, they may also think it is relevant to your PhD and/or think that it is a good lead in to the subject that will prepare you for the work you have ahead of you. Of course they may know exactly what they're doing and are getting a cheap RA but I actually doubt they are doing it on purpose.

So have a meeting with your supervisor and ask them:

- How much of my time should this be taking up, as I think I need to spend time on my main PhD topics?
- Is this work relevant to my PhD? If so how?

If it turns out it's not relevant and/or is kept at a level that prevents you doing your PhD work then you're probably best off making a stand now, before it becomes the accepted status quo.

Obviously that's just my view (without any inside knowledge of the problem). More detail would be good, as would the opinions of others on here.

J

======= Date Modified 14 Dec 2010 09:36:17 =======
Well if its not your topic then its bad. You must not feel vulnerable to do his work and focus to take control of your research. Unless you want to be in academia..but dont know how much time you already lost. If its more than 6 months, then just follow his lead..as Churchill would say, if its hell, keeping going..