V embarrassing situation

S

Being addicted to a series of books is good! I love when you're so into a certain series and the reading just flows and time doesn't matter. Plus, Twilight is only 4 (?) books and Harry Potter is only 7. You have a real problem when you get addicted to something like Sharpe or Discworld.

Best thing I ever got addicted to was Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy. Trashy Sci-Fi Space Opera stuff, but these were three chunky fucking books totalling a million words (fair play to the lad, I've just written a thousand in a week.) It was a great three weeks, apart from the last book which my brother had dropped in the bath and was now twice the size - I got cramp in my thumb from t=reading the bugger.

I always consider myself a book addict, but I do know a proper one. A friend of my parents used to spend all of his family's money on books, to the extent that it really caused problems in the relationship and they had to reinforce the floors on the first floor so that the bookshelves wouldn't break through. Sadly, this is a true story that, in real life, has a happy ending. He spent more time going to the library.

I'm sorry if this random collection of stories makes little or no sense. I'm very very tired.

a friend of mine aspires to being 'well read' and has therefore got a job at waterstones and has read everything of note! I think she reads about 10 books a week. I wish I had the time!

T

I was "addicted" to reading as a child. To the extent that my school teachers tried to stop me.

No time this week though :-( I say enjoy your twilight sneaks, everyone needs little escapism.

M

Ah... I understand this so well. I bought the first book on Sunday... I'm now just starting the last one. :$ Needless to say, work has fallen by the wayside a little bit this week...

problem is I can;t read them during the day, otherwise I won't get work done and my hubby comes in, wants dinner, clothes washed, then cos he gets up at early o clock he's like "stop reading NOW" so I only have snippets each day and its driving me crazy! I think I might take the whole weekend off and get it out of my system!

======= Date Modified 20 Jan 2010 17:19:59 =======
hmm double post

J

======= Date Modified 20 Jan 2010 18:51:04 =======
Sneaks, I went through this addiction in November. I was ashamed and told no-one. The good thing is that you have taken the first step to recovery - admitting you have a problem.

I assure you. Twilight is not worth it. It will only leave you disappointed and slightly sickened by the cheesy, gross, mushy and somewhat disturbing imagery you will encounter from New Moon onwards. Don't do it!!!

Step away from the books... pick up something more rewarding, like the True Blood series of books!

M

Quote From jinkim65:

======= Date Modified 20 Jan 2010 18:51:04 =======
Step away from the books... pick up something more rewarding, like the True Blood series of books!

No, don't! The True Blood books are even more addictive :p