Views on drinking whilst writing!

D

So, in the midst of writing up hell I find that a glass of wine on the go seems to help matters....this dooesn't seem to be having too much of a severe impact on the quality. Well not so far.
Have just about finished bar a bit of tidying up here and there and a final summary chapter but wondering if now would be the time to stop filling the glass?!

Anyone else have a drink while you work appraoch?! :-)

Hi Doctor?

I don't have much personal experience with the practise but a friend of mine who recently passed his viva swore by a couple of glasses of whiskey a night to help him focus.

It seems like a dubious habit to encourage but each to their own :p

A

lol, sometimes i wish i could do this but when working it just goes straight to my head! :D I can hold my own on a night out though, maybe it only goes to my head when I'm writing cos I know I'm not going out dancing and I don;t have to pace myself for the next 4/5 hours drinking! that sounds so bad! :)
anywhoo, I'd say if it helps the writing then go for it, but maybe don't keep on going after the writing is finished unless you fancy a few more drinks! :) A guy in my office finished 6 months early and had a couple of tins (ie 8!!) every evening and was out most weekends!

S

I always have coffee when I work. HAHAHA
And the occasional glass of wine; but just one or two. More than that, I will go to sleep.

K

Hmm, I have never been drinking whilst writing, but I have a pal who used to drink while he marked undergraduates' work. Apparently one night he had a bit too much, and when he checked over his marking the next day he found that he had written 'oh my god, this is absolute shit' at the bottom of someone's work! Lucky he checked! So personally, I would play it safe lol! Best, KB

L

Quote From keenbean:

Hmm, I have never been drinking whilst writing, but I have a pal who used to drink while he marked undergraduates' work. Apparently one night he had a bit too much, and when he checked over his marking the next day he found that he had written 'oh my god, this is absolute shit' at the bottom of someone's work! Lucky he checked! So personally, I would play it safe lol! Best, KB

Haha this brightened up my day!:-)

P

Sometimes I'll write ideas when I have had a few drinks and just write whatever comes into my head. Then the next day I'll go back and look through it to see if there is anything that makes sense and is worth following up.

E

I once was struggling with an undergraduate assignment so had a gin and tonic. It seemed to help at the time with the doing of the assignment but I got a terrible mark. I know this was not an extensive experiment but I have concluded that this approach is not for me.

As someone else said, each to their own though.