Viva- last few day of viva prep

P

Well, I've got only a few full days of viva prep ahead of me until my big day. Over the last few days I've started to feel a strong sense of nausea, problems sleeping, silent tears and feeling depressed about everything.

I'm trying to save myself from PhD failure by directing all my efforts into this PhD. I've formulated various documents in an attempt to convince my examiners that my work is worthy of a resubmit. What do you think?

1) Pre-viva corrections- acknowledged errors in table form with page number and proposed correction. This is a very large document!
2) Additional studies. I'm trying to show an awareness of studies that could be integrated into my literature review chapters.
3) List of thesis strengths. This is helping me stay positive and focusing on the strengths of my thesis.
4) Chapter revisions- ideas about restructuring my literature review chapters and ideas about reducing everything down.
5) I've devised a list of approx 60 odd viva questions to work through and prepare for. These questions are helping work on justifications for decisions I've made along the way.
6) Thesis summary. I've tried to summarise the main points of my thesis in order to revise the main sections of my thesis.

I'm finding it a mission to read through this 120,000 word thesis- I suspect my examiners are probably wanting to throw my thesis out the window!

I'm still very concerned about failing this PhD due to the state of my thesis, but I'm desperately trying to be proactive about my thesis and concentrate on the positives of my work. Towards the end of this week I'm probably going to spend some time relaxing and reflecting on everything and reinforce positive thinking, self belief and self efficacy- easier said than done!

Due to supervisors annual leave and booked holiday, my supervisors will not be around after my examiners announce their verdict, so I'm going to be all alone post viva
:-(

Roll on the weekend!!! ,-) Regardless of passing or failing, it will be good to get this viva out of the way (unless they cancel on me again- my external examiner has already requested a change in timings on the day!)

D

I know what you mean as I kept falling asleep when I was trying to reread my thesis for the viva! You've done a lot of work so I think it'll be fine and you seem to know your topic inside out which is excellent. It's great you covered the what ifs scenarios but don't be so ready to accept chapter revisions unless your examiners suggests them first. It's a good idea about the typos as it shows that you are aware of your mistakes!

Good luck with your viva - it's a shame that your supervisors won't be there but I'm sure there will be other people to support you! (up) :-)