VIVA next week Friday

S

Just got back from work and logged on to see if there's any news yet, but if the viva was at 1.30 I'm guessing you're probably still in there and might even be finished - thinking of you MumPhDStudent :-)

C

Best of luck MumPhDstudent(up)

M

======= Date Modified 04 Jun 2010 18:54:07 =======
Got my PhD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Minor corrections
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
will tell you more soon

J

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

B

Excellent! Huge congrats! Welcome to the Dr world :)

S

Oh that is the most brilliant news!!!!! Massive congratulations Dr MumPhDStudent xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I'm really looking forward to hearing your viva story - it helps the rest of us out so much - and just great news that you're through (up)
Now have that lovely weekend off chilling with your little one and your bump - you can bring your new baby into the world as a Dr lol - excellent news 8-)

S

Congratulations!! It's great that we both managed to pass this week!! 8-)

M

Thank you all for your support and help going through this crazy stage of my PhD...I was so stressed and reading all your advices and stories helped so much!
It was so nice not to feel alone.

My VIVA story:
I was so stressed that I couldn't sleep all night, my baby was also stressed I think as it kept kicking me like crazy (I will have to apologies to her when she gets out! ) :p
The worst thing is that I could eat or drink anything; I wanted to be sick...so the energy level was low.
I asked a friend to drive me as I didn't feel like I would be able to find me way.
I kept quiet all the way and was focusing on breathing in and out.
Once I arrived at the university, they were already waiting for me. They called me in.
First stage was to welcome me. It was so strange; they didn't look like the monsters I imagined. They looked like very nice normal human being :$ but still I was dead stressed.
They first asked me to tell them about my research. I was so stressed I cannot even remember if what I said was what I planned to say or if it even made sense...I nealry lost it in the first few sentences....oh god I feel so ashamed I must have looked ridiculous :$ I was not able to talk properly about something that I have researched for ages. Nerves I suppose
They put me out of my misery and told me that my work was worthy of a Phd :-):-):-) but that it needed some corrections.
We then went through all the corrections and discussed the points that needed clarifications.
At the end, I left the room, they had a chat, called me back in and then they congratulated me with a pass with minor corrections.

One advice that really is worth following for the VIVA and that I couldn't manage to do is to: RELAX, really SLEEP and RELAX. I nearly gave birth in the room, my tummy was so contracted!
Most of the questions I prepared in advance where not even asked. Just know you work and be fresh and relaxed to be able to discuss it properly. But I know it is really hard to do, especially if by nature you are like me a stressed human being!
So now I give myself a month to finish all the corrections as BABY number two will be coming soon and I don't think I will be able to do it after the birth.

Thanks again to all of you! wawwwww is it normal not to realise yet? I feel so so so strange and confused! the after shock probably
Good luck to all of you. And do contact me if you have more questions.
IT IS POSSIBLE TO FINISH!!!! Stick to IT and DO NOT give up! never, ever, ever!

B

Quote From MumPhDStudent:

wawwwww is it normal not to realise yet? I feel so so so strange and confused! the after shock probably

That happened to me too. My viva was on a Wednesday, and I was numb and in a blur about the result until the following Monday. It took all that time for it to sink in!

I'd echo your advice about the importance of sleeping and relaxing, especially relaxing, but would say that if someone doesn't sleep the night before their viva it is possible to get through, as both you and I did. I didn't even sleep the night after my viva - my mind was still in over-drive! - but I got through ok.

Thanks for sharing your viva experience, and congratulations again.

M

Congratulations, MumPhDstudent! :-) That's great news. (up)

Soon you'll be able to just focus on the birth & baby. :-)

U

CONGRATULATIONS DR. PhDmum - well done!

Thank you for explaining the details of how it went; I have my viva in a few months and this will no doubt help.

Best of luck for the future, for birth, and for motherhood! :-):-):-)(up)(up)

C

======= Date Modified 05 Jun 2010 14:42:22 =======
Congratulations!!!!!!(up) Getting a PhD and becoming a mother within weeks of each other! Must be amazing having soem many big life events happening so close to each other!

M

Thank you all so much!!!!
I wish you all the same! It still feels so unreal!
Best of luck to all of you!
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
My daughter who is 5 is so over the moon and keep calling Doctor Mum, she is so proud and is telling everybody.
She has been an excellent supportive daughter I was lucky to have her!

It still strange but I try to sleep but can't :$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$
: I keep reliving the VIVA in my head, I must be crazy!
But anyway I will probably be exhausted soon and then sleep without even realizing.

T

Fantastic! I knew you could do it!
Minor corrections is fabulous. You are a star.
I am so pleased for you. Now you can concentrate on the next huge challenge.... being a mum of two!

T

inspired by this thread and some of the others on preparing for vivas on this forum I wrote my latest PGR Tips on, ye, preparing for your viva:

http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/61811/Current-issue-of-PGR-Tips.html
enjoy!
Tennie

p.s. you can also sign up to get these sent to your email inbox every month:
http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/3866/PGR-Tips-registration.html