VIVA - Presence of supervisors?

D

I'd just be interested in your views as to whether or not you would like your supervisors present in the Viva.

Please add comments or share your experiences.

M

In the past my sup has helped me out a little too much when in seminars when I was perfectly able to explain myself. It can make it look like you need the help when you don't. Hence my 'no' vote for my sup. But each sup is different: my MSc sup was like a stone statue during my defence, didn't so much as nod or blink! Which was almost equally nerve-racking.....

G

My supervisor was very helpful and instinctively understanding. He was at the venue of the viva to greet the examiners, then to greet me as the examiners conferred in private. He took me to one side and reassured me that it would be OK, then left me alone to collect my thoughts. He was then on hand to hear the verdict, but never once expressed an interest in being present.

If he had asked, I'd have politely refused. Enough pressure to perform already, but at least the examiners are strangers so you can put up your academic persona. The supervisor knows you so well this would be very hard.

D

Thanks for the replies. If I reach that stage I think I'd also prefer to go it alone.

Can you tell how many people have voted via the poll?

R

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOO definitely not!!!!!!! I hope it doesn't even come up to be honest, but I will (politely as possible) say no if it does. I didn't think it was the 'done' thing until someone else here a while ago had her supervisor just invite himself in. But apparently he sat with his back to her and didn't say a word... is that even weirder or what???

P

I voted yes, but I think that's because I am completely inspired by my sup who is a brilliant mentor! I think the response differs from case to case...

D

As far as I know, if supervisors sit in they cannot say a single word or contribute in any way whatsoever.

P

YUp, they don't speak (usually)...but if anything goes wrong they are witnesses and if good people are "in your corner" and can back you up if the examiners deny something they might have said/done that they shouldn't have...

P

PS Delta aren't you a new PhD? I thought you were a year or two in... I may be wrong, are you defending? :-) Good luck, is so!

R

I've agreed for mine to be present for all the reasons Bug said.

K

Threads like this make me realise how lucky I am to have the supervisor I do. Mines a long way off so I might yet change my mind but he has always been great at reassuring me and I would love to have him there.

R

That must be nice KeepCalm! I think my supervisor makes me more nervous than the examiners would! Hopefully :$

M

======= Date Modified 13 May 2009 22:02:48 =======
I've told exactly the same as PhDbug - say 'yes', because your supervisor can presents grounds for appeal or change an examiner if things go wrong. If they aren't in the room, it's your word against the examiners.