Waiting on interview result

P

Hi everyone,

I had a PhD studentship interview on Weds morning. I was hoping I would have got a response by the weekend but no news yet. They never said when and how they'd get back to me in the interview and I think in my nervousness I didn't think about it at the time. I'm wondering when would be a good time to get back to the research supervisor to send a polite "prodding" email?! I'm so inpatient when it comes to stuff like this so I'm trying with all my will not to email already! Hope someone can help!

Thanks

S

Hi Poppy,

I wouldn't worry about no news, academics are not famed for their speed of response and the HR at my uni is laughably bad. A follow up "prod" is perfectly reasonable, however I would wait until at least a week or two has passed. It may take them that long to interview others, so unless you know that the process is over (e.g. they interviewed everyone on the same day or you are the only applicant) I would wait 2 weeks from the date of your interview before sending a polite email to ask when you will find out.

If you really can't wait then maybe contact someone in charge of the admin (supervisors secretary?) just to ask how long the wait might be and how they will let you know. You could put that you meant to ask at the interview.

Good luck, I hope it comes back a positive! (up)

All the best

P

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I know there was 5-6 applicants all being interviewed the same day. Think I'll wait until next Weds then and send an email! Hopefully I don't have to wait until then though, I'd be quite happy to know either way, just don't like waiting!

Thanks