Waiting to hear about my PhD

M

rpm08, I would like some help. Possible to reach you through e-mail if it isn't problematic??

R

sure - [email protected]

Anyone else any question?

G

There's a fair bit (and more) on the complexities of obtaining a PhD by publication on here. I suggest you read it before anyone gets too carried away. From memory, the genre typically applies to individuals with a considerable reputation (and publication history) in their chosen field. Its not in any respect seen as a short cut for the average PhDer.

R

There are of course rules and guidelines for PhD by publication and each university may differ in these. Essentially, the same criteria apply for a traditional PhD in that the work needs to be coherent and significant. However, in no way are these aspects discriminatory and as long as you can fulfil the criteria then you should not have any problems.

H

Sounds dodgy. Also, 65k for a PhD is absolutely astronomical. Big time rip off. I must say, PhD by publication is not as rigorous. I know of a couple of academics who obtained their professorship through publication and with regret, I'm not impressed with their academic output : a tat shoddy.
Why can't you do your PhD in your home country? Better still, do it in the US. Definitely better supervision than the dodgy ones you get in the UK. Too many bad experiences.

M

PhD by Publication is normally reserved for academics who have published substantive work, but not obtained a PhD. It's highly unlikely someone would produce PhD standard work without any supervision and/or being faculty member. Therefore, the application panel would just throw it back and refuse registration for the viva.

M

£65 000 includes living expenses. PhD is only £35000. I can't do it in my home country because I won't get funding for that, here in the UK I will.

M

£65k sounds about right.

I read in the Guardian a while back that some international students (usually in the sciences) end up with a debt of £200k!

M

True. My problem is that many universities I have approached want £25-30 000 just to cover the fee and living expenses comes on top, makes it £35-40 000 even though the PhD is not lab based.