weight gain :(

L

I'm worried about weight gain too..

I've stopped exercising, and feel guilty if i take any time out to exercise. because i feel that i have to work on my thesis all the time, since i only have 3 months left.. but i'm worried about weight gain. because all i do is sit at my desk all day in my study room at home.

perhaps at the end of the day, i should do at least 15minutes on the exercise bike or something..

i do find myself eating alot during the day, anytime i need a break, i want to eat! the curse of writing i suppose. and the last thing i want to do is eat healthy when i feel stressed.

i've stopped leaving the house and have become a hermit!

perhaps i ought to take the bike out and ride it in the park or something in the late afternoon once in awhile (the park is only 5mins from my house). maybe even take some papers or something and work there for an hour or so, change of environment, might help too.

B

Yup, I've put on weight during my PhD too... a fact which I manage to ignore until the rare occasion that I have to go somewhere smart and my clothes from a year ago don't fit properly. Sigh. I don't exercise enough, but because I never have in the past either, I'm certain it's the snacking that's the underlying cause. Recently, I've started avoiding sugar and fat and have lost a couple of pounds, so what I'd say is try to avoid those high calarie foods. Also, I've had to face the fact that it's going to take a bit of time to shift the extra weight. Not unlike the PhD actually, in that no matter how much you'd like to, you can't do it over night. I felt better once I'd accepted that.

J

It's much better to lose weight slowly. In fact, don't aim to lose weight, aim to eat healthily. By avoiding fat, sugar and salt-laden foods, you automatically eat less calories too.

B

Psychologically, I think satisfaction comes from taking control of you eating habits rather than them controlling you. Best advice would be to think on that and try to come up with a plan of action. Basically, just as you'd do with an academic problem, try to look beyond the panic and take a proactive approach.

S

i've lost 17 kilos in the last 8 months and am feeling a lot better, even if i still want to lose another 12. i put on a lot of weight because of relationship and thesis troubles but in october i decided that i would not be fat any more.

L

thanks everyone for your advice! really appreciate it

i will start including exercise in my daily routine