WHAT A DEPRESSING FORUM!

V

Hi,
Im also in the idea of getting a PhD though not completely sure about it. Recently, I was accepted for a master degree (i already have one). I have a clue of what it entails to get into a PhD. However, I consider that going for PhD is not the answer if you don't know what to do or if you hate your current job. You should not enter on it just trying to get rid of your present circumstances.
Should I go for a PhD?
I guess it depends if you love your topic and doing research.
And here, I have a question.
I like my topic but I do not love research so much. On the other hand, I really love teaching! So my question is if it is still worth to go for PhD considering you like your topic, yo do not like so much research, but you really love teaching??

Thanks!

Dear venturin12. If you choose the PhD path, you cannot really avoid research. However you can make it enjoyable. First identify what bits of the research process you don't like. Research is quite a broad set of works. Then, you can decide to do a practice-based PhD. You still have to do a lot of research. But the practice element can be really enjoyable, you actually wouldn't mind putting up with the bits you don't like. (My research also has practice element in it, so it's not 100% practice but the work varies a lot.)

V

Hi 404!
Thanks for your input.
I think I don't really dislike research. I like it, in general terms.
"First identify what bits of the research process you don't like"
That's a very good point!! What I dislike is that it seems to be chaotic at times. I know, I know, it is part of research that you get unexpected results and so on, I know, I know it is part of the fun about it, I know, I know here is where you have to show your creativity, cleverness and determination, I know, I know. But I knew some PhD students who have told me, after 2 years, "Im not sure where it is going or if it makes any sense this path" My point is that I believe supervisors mostly do not do their job!! Ok, you are not a child anymore and you can not expect to be guided all the way. But one thing is to show your capacity and somehting else is to leave a student adrift in a boat in the ocean of knowledge!!

S

Well, even after the PHD, it will be difficult to get away from doing research given the amount that academics are expected to produce nowadays. The teaching tends to take second place nowadays. If teaching is what you want to do, do a PGCE then become a school teacher.

V

Continued...

Also, 404, Im intending a PhD that would be also practical. Yes, something that can be applied outside of academia. I would hate to be caught in academia forever! I want to be flexible enough as to work as a teacher as well as in industry and for the government. That would be my ideal profile. Much to your surprise, I care little about writing tons of journal papers and I care little if people know me as Dr Venturin12 or don't know me at all. What I want is to be dedicated to the topic I like, be it as a teacher, be it in industry, be it as a public employee. I think Im looking for something multidisciplinary and flexible and perhaps that is exactly what a PhD is not

B

I would agree with those above that say "Do you LOVE your subject enough to stick with it for over 3 years"

but I would also add.

"Do you reckon you can handle inter departmental backbiting and politics?"
"Of having no social life and increased threat of divorce/being single because of your antisocial working hours?" (3rd divorce in our team this year. Whoo Hoo!)
"Being paid barely more than graduate entry wage when you are in your thirties"
"Being forced onto the "publish or perish" treadmill, regardless of whether you think your study is finished?"
"Spending life on a series of short term contracts, with your professional career being dictated to by what is favourable in your field at the time?"

Other than that, Go for it!

V

Badhaircut,

That sounds frightening!

Specially this:
"Of having no social life and increased threat of divorce/being single because of your antisocial working hours?" (3rd divorce in our team this year. Whoo Hoo!)
I know one guy who got divorced in the middle of his PhD, a horrible story. Why is social life lacking for many PhD students?
But what about getting PhD and dedicate mostly to teaching? I think Im dreaming since most Universities would not pay me for teaching, i guess they expect journals, papers, publications, seminars and so on so you can help uni's prestige.... right?
Ummmmm

S

Why are virtually all the posts at the top of this board so morbid today? Cheer up everyone!

P

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/showmessage.asp?thread=6385&cat=4&keyword=positive&newview=1&stype=TM&category=0

This is a link to all the positive posts I received when feeling really low about my pending PhD in Sept. 07. I have really nothing to worry about. I am excited about my topic, I have found a prof. who is in the same field, I have been signed off and now waiting for my offer but I am still mostly SCARED. However, I have printed off this thread, punched holes in it and it is in my filofax because I know I have to forget any doubts, negatives etc. and just GO FOR IT. I want to be in academia, I love my subject, I want to lecture, I am intelligent (mostly!) and I love this forum because I know it is a safe place to come. Thanks all other forum members and I hope this thread helps you.
Believe me, I have everything to worry about...age, family, finance etc. but I have decided I am going for it....I may be run over by a bus tomorrow!

S

That's the spirit, good for you PinkNeuron!

yep, that's great PinkNeuron You'll always get good support from this forum. I have been getting more support here than I did from any of my supervisors. And it's almost 24/7

Y

Supervisors were once PhD students.......
they are not PhD students anymore, and there's often an age gap.
We're peers, and should support each other!

C

come on venturin12. Ok I am just at the stages of thinking of going into a PHd as I love the idea of teaching aswell as seeing my name on a publication but your post is soo depressing!

no social life threat of divorce???? I am positive there are moments in every PhD students life where they think shouldnt have done this but I really dnt think it can be that bad ...........is it?

I was pretty convinced I would like to go into a Phd and then into lecturing after spending two years in industry but you guys are sort of putting me off

Can someone please give me an honest opinion maybe someone who has finished their phd and is now working if they had their time again would they do it ??

B

From the perspective of someone that has just finished their PhD, and have been working a little in my field. I probably would have done something different if I had my time again because:

1) Although I have been trained for a role, its not that highly regarded outside academia. While they are transferable skills, SOME employers outside consider PhDs to be overqualified and underexperienced in the real world.
2) While I loved my subject, I went from having a very sociable life, supportive work environment, to being an extremely isolated. The time demands, the depth of the work and the fact that few others "get it" mean you can feel cut off very easily.

I would probably do something more vocational, that is better respected and has a better career structure.