What am I doing? And No More chocolate gags.

B

I am one month in and I have only read a few (i.e. 3 or 4) journals my supervisor has advised me to read as I am relatively new to this field (it is a interdisciplinary PhD so i have knowledge in one area but not the other) so I have found I am still reading text books to get basic knowledge of one area. I have meeting on friday where supervisor wants me to show ideas and research questions? Is this a trap? (not to sound cynical) Or, would i genuinely be expected to come up with concrete ideas.

Cheers

B

P.S. I dont want to eat anymore chocolate so forget that (I know i sound like scrouge -"bah humbug" but feeling slightly anxious and I not really partial to choc.

Cheers

P

You're new to that side of the project; you know that and so does the supervisor, so I wouldnt worry too much about your supervisors' expectations. If you feel you need more time grasping the basics of a subject before getting creative and developing your own ideas, just explain that, and they'll very likely understand. I know of one student who is doing an interdisciplinary PhD in maths and genetics, yet knew next to nothing about genetics when he started. Discussing those less familiar topics with your fellow students could also help you pick up the new concepts more quickly.

B

Yes Dan and I have even attended lectures on the Masters course but it seems such slow progress. I feel totally useless and wondering if I am actually competent to caontinue the PhD. Thanks for the advice. I think I will e mail both supervisors now and explain my position with regards to lack of ideas.

B

hi Dan. Yeah I met with supervisor and explained situation. He actually said he forgot to give me an important document that turned out to be very informative and has put me at ease somewhat. Thanks for the advice. i think its time to get assertive
cheers