What are my chances?

I

Hello, I'm new here and I was wondering what my chances of getting a PhD were. I know that nobody can give a definite answer because everywhere is different, but I got a 2:1 for my undergrad degree, and I've just finished a Masters and got a distinction for that. How much help will that be? Thanks for any answer =)

I

Oops lol I hadn't quite finished.
I shoulda said that I already have been offered one, which anybody who saw my other topic will know, but will that always be a one off, or will my chances be similar everywhere?

M

I don't know about the area you're going for, but I'd have thought you'd be a prime candidate, with the qualifications that you've gained.

K

What are you looking to do it in? Your record sounds pretty good. If it's any help I got a 2:1 and have a masters but didn't get a distinction - in fact the research/dissertation part of my MSc was my lowest mark, and I've just submitted my PhD thesis - in Psychology.

I guess it hinges on what you want to study. Sciences tend to be more well funded and with your results I guess it wouldn't be too problematic. However funded PhDs in Arts and Social Sciences are more scarce, and I'm guessing that competition is more fierce for those subject areas. Therefore a First class hons in an undergrad may be a necessity. Perhaps someone else can advise. Overall, I think your chances would be pretty good based on your overall results.

I

Thanks for the replies.

It's actually in biological sciences - I don't really know how that compares to other sectors in terms of funding :s

Well done for submitting your thesis, Kronkodile =) How do you feel now that you've handed that in? I think that's pretty inspirational for other people, especially those who think the research part of their courses didn't go quite so well. Congrats, and thanks to you both.

M

Which area specifically, i00t2000?

I

Well, I've studied marine biology, my masters was in shellfish biology and fisheries. I'm interested in doing anything along the lines of ecology or behavioural ecology of marine organisms.

F

The marlab in Abdn sometimes has some PhD, I did my first masters with them, investigating the environmental impact of shellfish faming!

I

Oh wow, thanks. I'd heard about MarLab, but didn't really know much about them so I just checked them out. Nothing right now, but I'll keep them in mind. Thanks!
As it happens, just had a look at Aberdeen uni. There's a nice PhD they're offering which is in one of my favourite fields (predatory ecology), but it may be much too stats based. I'll have to ask the supervisor 8)

F

Abdn is a good city, did my degree and first masters up there. Don't let stats worry you, everyone needs training in certain areas and nobody is an expert at all they are doing in their PhD. Good luck

I

Thanks for the link 8)

Yeah, I've seen it. I've actually been offered a PhD at Aber to do with fish biology, but it doesn't come with any funding. I was thinking of applying to this for it, but I know the competition is ~really~ steep.

Still, if I don't apply, I definitely won't get it, but if I do, there's a chance, no matter how tiny!!

Thanks again ^_^