What are PhD students doing?

I

Hi All,
I am interested in finding out what is being researched at PhD level at the moment - from subject areas all the way down to PhD titles.

I've done some googling but to no avail. Does any bright person know where i can get this info from?

R

what a stupid question.

to answer this question: everything under the rainbow is being researched.

T

hehe. I can a little bit more specific:

find a interesting and advanced research topic;
literature survey to find a most proper perspective and sketch a plan that can be finished in 3-5 years.
use any kind of methods/tools available to research on the topic, and improve the state-of-art research level, and publish several papers.
and enjoy the success!
what's your area anyway?

C

Research councils that supply the funding, or universities directly (preferably admin e.g. admissions or department responsible for postgrads).

I

@ rjb203 - a wide question isnt a stupid one. Believe me - everything under the "rainbow" isnt funded.
@ cc - this is a sensible place to start - thanks.

R

but you didnt ask what is being funded, you asked what resarch is being conducted at third level. I do think that is a rather silly question. a quick search on google and you will find everything you need to know
what kind of research are you interested in. science, engineering, arts? i think you need to be more specific...

C

I agree you might have to narrow it down and talk about limitations. There will be PhDs registered as MPhil for their first year-do they count if not upgraded? There will be people who have stopped getting funding but who are writing up, or people working but waiting for viva. What about people that drop out early? That confuses which data you include e.g. full-time, part-time, 1st years, 5th year on extensions? Industrial PhDs, researchers working in the same lab and studying part-time?
The universities may not be able to even keep tabs on this information! I've been on a faculty committee looking at departmental statistics..!
Do you actually just want a cross-section or to design a questionnaire to collect the data? You might need to define what you want more clearly in order to get the right answers.