What are the choons to keep ya going/listening to at the mo?

B

Lads and ladies,
As music is perhaps one of the means to help a lot of us get thro' the slog (in both good and bad times), it'd be interesting to see a few opinions ...
What are the choons that keep people going thro' the slog? Is it a mixture and if there was an album/artist that got you into the work mood what is it?
What is the best site for streaming (Jango or Lastfm)?
Are the current charts just "euthenasia by audio" or does anyone really care?
Does the term indie have any relevance any more?
Does anybody else listen to metal (Mastodon, Opeth, LoG and Neurosis)?
Who is the best unheard of bands out there? Talking about cross genre here as not always listening to "Kill your mother with a shovel" music as my old housemates used to call it (post-rock, a bit of ambient)

Any other thoughts/inputs

S

I just bought a nice little selection of CD's and put them on my work computer: Elvis Presley, Faith No More and John Mayer - not sure where these three fit into the choices above! Loving them all at the mo!

B

FNM - Great choice Sim! Epic is one of those songs to start ya up on a bad day (up)

Great thing about music is that it's everybodies choice and it changes.

S

as i write i am listening to omen by the prodigy, but the song before that (on my fairly random ipod mix!) was thou shalt always kill by dan le sac. this mix also includes holly valance, elton john, lionel ritchie, the ting tings and justin timberlake, so you could say my taste is a little eclectic/weird/crap (delete as appropriate!!)

S

i should add that i guess that puts me squarely in the pop category!!

K

I've never understood how people can work with metal/dance music playing...I must have very low levels of concentration but I can only really listen to classical or similiar or my mind wanders all over the place! I am enjoying Bat for Lashes and Florence and the Machine at the minute though, they're just about quiet enough.

R

Today's choice is Elvis (50's/60's) and Charlie Feathers, the more rockabillyish stuff. Not sure where it fits into your poll, Radio Kak probably!! :-) And yesterday it was the Jesus and Mary Chain.

Hey Bonzo. At the moment it's Louder than bombs by The Smiths. Because I'm rrreeeeeeeaallly happy. Weirdly enough, I listen to the Smiths when I'm in the best mood. I think I may be revelling in being able to take it. Yes! - even the smiths cannot get me down now!

W

Hmm, I'd like to ask, has anyone found that they've listened to so much music that they are bored with it, in general, and so can't bring themselves to listen to anything? It's a shame as I used to really find it motivating but now I have to work in boring silence.

R

Walminski, I listen to stuff as an official break from the PhD so it probably doesn't happen enough to let me get sick of it. I can't work with music on, or at least anything with lyrics, however inane they might be occasionally! :-)

R

Quote From eska:

Weirdly enough, I listen to the Smiths when I'm in the best mood. I think I may be revelling in being able to take it. Yes! - even the smiths cannot get me down now!

I find the same with Joy Division - I've never found them depressing, it's mildly uplifting in a melancholy way, but never plunges me into misery! Maybe that's a bit strange... aaah well!
:-)