what can i do after a phd in engineering

S

hello everybody
I'm currently at last year of MSc in Aerospace Enigneering (the Italian MSc is 2 years) and I'm 24 years old.
I'm working in an italian aeronautical industry in order to produce my final dissertation.
I'm gonna get my MSc next december.

I would like to do the phd in aerospace engineer at university of glasgow .
My question is: after a phd what can i do? would it be possible join in some glasgow industries? or is there only the academic career?

because i think that after a phd i will be about 27 years old (3 years phd) and do the industries get people with old age (but really high degree)?

and another question: can I apply in december or do I have to wait for the new academic year?

thank for the info
byee

W

dude. Follow your heart. Just know what u want to do.

ciao.:-(

J

Another person who thinks that late twenties is old age - mmm not sure what they think of the large numbers of us here who are already in or forties (or older) when we have started our PhDs - postiviely ancient?

I

I will strongly suggest to get in touch with uni/potential supervisor as early as you can, it will help you a lot to prepare and plan properly,
People who don't have any gaps between bsc/msc upto Phds are very much rare, I came across two lecturers in my uni who did Phd straight away from their Bsc (hons) rest of them have 10-15years gap. I had two years break after my Msc but was involved in research projects as programmer and I am 26 now, and will start my phd in sept. this year :)

S

and what about the career prospectives after the phd? are there only academic prospectives?
because I don't know how well (or bad) the phd is seen by industries,
for my experience and friend's experience who join to the doctorate in italy can only aspire to academic positions (but after a long research career) because the industries want only people with industrial experience.

Ps: I am going to remain in uk to work, indeed i don't know how the phd is seen

I

I was watching dragons' den (reality show) on tv, where a dragon invested just because the entrepreneur was a PhD, PhD is not only a big thing for us but for everybody else too, and I am sure you will have far more chances in industry/academics after successful Phd :) and also you get too many choices and you will feel more secure; all the best

S

thanks for the advices.

and about join to the phd, how can i do that?
Before apply Do I contact the Professor/advisor?
I tried to send an email some times ago and he told me only: "you make your application and if your application will be successful you will receive a conditional offer" but he didn't ask me anything about me and what kind of skills I have

I

do it as,

1) Research area - something in aerospace engineering - it is like your Msc thesis but in advance level
2) find supervisors/uni - try to go through their profile pages in uni websites to find about their research interests. if they are willing to supervise you then
3) expand your research by writing research proposal with your supervisor and then get admission :) or

you can search funded projects in your field in this website as well, for funded projects you go through different requirements, all the best

D

You can do whatever you want. Currently, there's tons of work in UK engineering.

Most UK aerospace engineers don't hold PhDs ... can be a well-respected engineer in the UK with a good first-degree, plus a portfolio of expertise/experience and common sense.

A PhD might make sense for lots of reasons as well, but may not make a huge difference in Industry, whereas I guess it's mandatory for academia. A PhD could be 3 fun years, or a career cul-de-sac, I'm not sure how you would predict which.