What did you all do before your phd?

A

I agree with Mia and, as I am doing a Post-doc with the same group as I did my PhD with, that is no surprise! I think there are many benefits to continuing to work with the same team. I'm not worried about missing out on experience through exposure to different researchers because, through other collaborative projects, I am working with new people.

H

I don't plan on staying in academia however some companies prefer their scientists to have postdocs so I may consider doing one after my PhD. There are also industry-based postdocs (which obviously sounds more appealing to me).

Depending on my family situation at the time, I may consider going to the dreaded USA to do one....

W

It is about moving out of your comfort zone and getting an idea of how research works in other parts of the world. Nothing is stopping the student from coming back as a lecturer or RF after the post-doc but it is generally good if you move for your institution. Atleast in Engineering and Applied Sciences it does.

I agree there are family commitments and other personal issues that tie down people to a certain area but again my opinion is for people who have the choice and can do it... Even during the PhD, if you can go to another university as an affiliate student, you should do it. I did not have the chance but those kinds of programs are becoming common now.

There is the knowing in theory that other groups practice differently, respecting it and so on but then actually having experience doing it is better. I think it is like knowing and understanding other cultures exist and then going to live with other cultures for a while. It is not the same thing. It is the reason why travelling in a gap year for instance is good experience.

S

What are you DanB? a male or female? sometimes I wonder if you are a gay bloke, but now I really am confused!!