What do you do when your panel don't want the PhD you are working on but something else that they have in their minds which they can understand more easily?

P

I've just had my second year panel. I submitted a chapter and my supervisor (who is experienced) said it was good. She likes my ideas, she thinks I can produce a good PhD and I was feeling very positive about the whole thing. However the other panel members don't seem to get what I am doing and it appears to me that they want a completely different PhD which reflects their, dare I say it, outdated views on the subject. One even said there was no point in looking at particular artworks as they were all made in the same workshop so couldn't tell us anything new. I pointed out that what I was looking at was the individuality of parts of this evidence (monumental brasses) and trying to get into the minds of the people who commissioned them in the medieval period to find out about their choices on funeral monuments as there is obviously something there of interest.
I'm trying to bring in some theoretical ideas in relation to historical aspects but still bearing in mind the mindset of the medieval people I am looking at.
I don't want to sound big-headed but I think what I am doing is valid and I feel that apart from my supervisor the other panel members although experts in their field are scared of what I am doing. It's a common attitude in the area I am working in, which is why I am trying to advance it.
On the other hand maybe what I'm doing is just rubbish and I should stick to the tried and tested ideas and do what they would like my PhD to be - which I don't actually know!
I'm just fed up and don't know whether I can put myself through another year of working hard only for them to still not get it and recommend that I don't submit.

It sounds to me like people being stuck in the mud. I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but from what I know of your field you have a very difficult task ahead of you. You can PM me about it if you like.

P

Thanks Eska, I have PMd you.