What do you do when...

J

I've found all her books have a similar theme: the narrative splits between modern-day San Francisco and historical China - usually in the form of an elderly mother describing her childhood to her American-born daughter. I like them because they describe a lifestyle and culture so totally different from anything I know - not just the food, although that takes a big part, but the belief in ghosts and superstitions, and the relations between family members. They're often very funny too. I would recommend them.

Does anyone else have a recommendation? I also like the No 1. Ladies Detective Agency books for a bit of escapism.

D

Sounds really good, type of thing I could definately get in to! Just been reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (not the coke snorting one!) really meaty book flicking between presesent day and thirteenth century France, bit of Cathar mysticism thrown in...quite good but then I'm a History geek! Anything by Terry Pratchett is always great for helping to chill me out, they're funny but intelligent...

C

Re. how to get to sleep..

Could try exercising before you go to bed? Go for a run or the gym or something, anything to make your body so tired it overrides your brain!

Alternatively drink plenty of red wine. That tends to work for me.

D

Lol ...have to say the red wine option is the preferable one , or both, that way can at least console self that deserve the wine afer the run!

C

Mmm...both, now that is a good idea!!

D

its the way, exercise off the guilt then scoff the sweets/wine...equilibrium There's no way I'd make it through this PhD without the wine/choccie....I'll give them all up when I finish the damm thing honest!