What do you prefer to be called?

J

with me it depends upon the person I am speaking to, as sometimes it makes people listen to what I am saying to them. I work in education, but am not a teacher (of children anyway)where letters and titles count for a lot. It sometimes makes me smile when I pass the head's office with its plaque detailing the qualifications they have as if I had one on my door they would need to make it bigger to get them all on . People in education seem to like this kind of thing, so when I have to deal with them I just casually drop the fact that I am studying for a PhD into the conversation, and like magic they stop treating me as though I haven't a brain cell in my head, which sadly happens all the time if you are not a teacher.. The rest of the time I only mention it when I have to have an hour or so off to see my supervisor!

S

Oh God, what a query? Here we r, future PhD holders tending to this question? One heck of Forum. Human, arrgh....

Y

I have recently written an article - not related to my doctoral research obviously - about whether or not people pursue PhD for the purpose of social recognition

Thanks a lot for guys sharing your interesting views; I look forward to hearing some more

L

I call myself PhD candidate. It sounds a bit classier than the student and since I have now passed my upgrade I feel like it's a suitable title.