What don't they tell you?!

E

Very generally, be prepared to adjust your expectations in several areas. For me, it's been:

- Discovering that academia is subject to the same back-stabbing and pettiness as most other working environments.
- Constantly feeling like I shouldn't even be here. Yes, I did well at undergrad/MA, but I'm average in comparison to the rest in my group. Feeling incompetent seems to be the norm.
- Goodbye socializing with non-academic friends - it can be isolating sometimes.
- Long hours spent reading/writing is not conducive to a happy state of mind. I've found being outdoors in the nice weather is helping of late.

S

I paid for conferences out of my grant - except for one that paid me some momey (and I was pathertically ecstatically grateful!). Check that your other necessary costs can be covered.

J

Cheers for the insight folks

oh dear, what have I let myself in for....

C

On a more cheerful note...They also don't tell you that supervisors aren't monsters

At least mine aren't.

J

Slightly off topic, but moderators, I see you censored the word I used but ignored one post above - I recommend an eye examination

M

Jouri, my b*stard just isn't as offensive as your b*stard.

M

Message Removed.

L

You will also need to fix a fake smile and deal with some completly vile people (academics) that you have to work with. If you are unlucky, your supervisor will be one of them. You won't be able to say anything though because you are just a student and they all protect each other (even if they too secretly hate each other's guts). You will think "get fuc%ed" each time you see your supervisor while continuining to smile and make small talk.

Overall, whole PhD experince is a lot more negative than I ever thought it would be, and I'm really a very negative person to begin with.

B

I think the biggest thing people don't tell you is the poor career prospects.

About 60% of people who actually finish their PhD do NOT end up in academia. Yet employers rarely see the value in employing PhDs (and some even view them as undesirable).

Those that manage to make it in academia are on short term contracts and are not very well paid compared to other professions. They are highly pressured environments with lots of politics and backbiting and the whole scene is very Darwinian.

Enjoy your time as a PhD student, as its probably the best time in an academic career.

S

I went to a talk a few days ago and became utterly terrified by stats thrown at us regarding post PhD life. Apparently, around 31% of PhD students in my field actually pass their PhDs. That's a pretty lean percentage. The speaker basically said that unless you are willing to sacrifice all of yourself to academic life, and are ready to fight tooth and nail for a position, then you can pretty much forget it! I walked away feeling pretty deflated and certain that I wouldn't be amongst the lot who actually succeed because I don't have the mindset necessary. The more I hear about post PhD life, the more I am convinced that I've taken the wrong path.

Jouri, I think Mango censored it but missed that one! Anyway, there you go. (see what I've done?) ;)

W

Get me the shotgun

S

I think the thing that struck me was my parents attitude and reaction towards my PhD...at my undergraduate degree they understood why I was doing it. It took me a long time for me to explain to them what a PhD was, the process I would have to go through to get one, and that was before I started to explain what my topic is! When I start to talk about my work, their eyes just gloss over and they stop listening.

I have the same experience explaining what I do to some friends that did not continue to further education- I am constantly saying no I'm not going to be a GP and no i don't go to lectures, I work on my own project!

M

Just to add to SillyBilly's comments, I find the general public completely devalue a PhD and 'Dr' title.

A friend of mine questioned why I should call myself a 'Dr' (which I'd only ever use in a professional context anyway), when I'm not a medical doctor. I try to explain the history of the 'Dr' title, and how it would have been easier for me to be a medical doctor, than what I'm doing now....but alas I'm just a fake (and she's rather ignorant).

I do also find that a PhD is granted more recognition and kudos in other countries, compared to the UK.

L

lostinoz, you just nailed it!

i feel exactly the same way about my supervisor!! but i have to still be nice becuase i'm his hostage! and he wont let me submit. he even threated me in an email. that the decision to submit, isnt just mine!

my phd experience has been very negative also and hard work. i dont even know whether it was worth it to be honest.