What happens if I don't complete?

E

I had my daughter part-way through my PhD and found it difficult to arrange to go back abroad to complete research. For financial reasons, phd is now part-time and I have a full time unrelated job which includes studying for a professional qualification that is unrelated to my phd). My supervisors try to persuade me that I can write up, realistically, its not going to happen.

So before I broach this with the AHRC, I just wanted to informally check...will they make me pay any of the money back? I can't find anything about it in the AHRC guidelines and I am meant to be sending back a form by september that officially ends the period of registered research and gives me another year to submit.

I haven't had any payment for the next academic session yet so if I notify them I am withdrawing, will I have to pay anything back from previous years?

I feel really sad about this. Like I have failed myself, my supervisors and my departments. The crappy thing is that I am capable of doing it but my life has gone in other directions and have responsibilities that are more pressing.

O

You have my full sympathy. I don't think you have to pay any money back. Yet, I don't understand this sentence:"The crappy thing is that I am capable of doing it but my life has gone in other directions and have responsibilities that are more pressing. "

Certainly, in the era of contraception it was a "conscious" decision to become pregnant in the middle of a PhD?

E

Lol. Yes, it was a concisous decision to become pregnant and I know that lots of people do work tremendously hard and manage to write up PhDs in similar circumstances. I'm not using that as an excuse.

There were a number of factors:
a) I underestimated just how difficult it would be to work during my maternity year off (naivity but every expectant mother underestimates how time consuming children are!)
b) I had some research problems whilst abroad with data gathering that meant I really need to go back for quite a period to get a complete picture and doing that whilst having a child would be difficult
c) we had financial problems centered around my husband's job that meant it was difficult for me not to be working any more.

Thanks for your reply about my question though :)

L

Hi eggle. Sorry to hear about your problems. Is there no way you could finish somehow. It seems like such a shame when you are near the end. What about dropping the other qualification you are doing instead or taking out a loan and cutting your working hours down?

E

Thanks for your reply Littlemissworry. Its complicated as my daughter has been quite ill. I had been planning to return abroad for a week or so at a time but my daughter nearly died when she was 10 months old. She's been in and out of hospital over the last 2 years so we made a decision as a family that I couldn't go abroad and leave her here and it wasn't fair to expect my husband to leave his job and everyone come with me. My new job came with private medical cover for us all - so I'm not saying I am stuck with having to do it - I enjoy this career path as well...just having to think of academia and phd as something to come back to in later life as things never happen how you expect them to!

To be honest, I'm just happy that my daughter is relatively healthy and we have enough cash from day to day at the moment.

Anyhows...!...enough of me justifying why I'm giving up...will it plunge me into financial destitution ?!?

S

i don't think you have to pay anything back. if in doubt, you can read up your original award with its terms and conditions!

perhaps you will find a way to come back to your PhD in a little while? stopping now does not necessarily mean quitting for ever. maybe now is just not the time for it.

good luck!

S

I don't think the research council will expect the money back - lots of people withdraw and they have only had to pay back the money that was not 'used' i.e. if you withdraw in the middle of a semester and you've been given the money in advance, you only pay back the percentage you are not registered for

There are other options to withdrawing and you should discuss these with your department/supervisor. You have a very strong case for special consideration - you could suspend for a year (or more) and then go PT to allow you to work as well? There are a lot of us out there who have to work and juggle other commitments and it can be done. Don't be afraid to work out something with your department that helps you complete. I know sooooo many students who've managed to get concessions from the department to help them complete - but you have to ask and be honest that you need some help

E

i would agree, quiting is the easiest but not the best option. it all depends on how good relations you have with your supervisors. deferring the Phd for as long as is possible sounds a better solution if you really want to make it...try to get your supervisors opinion on that
i wish you all the best of luck to you

O

Is there a possibility that someone else can go abroad for you? Include an MSc student? I don't know what you are working at but it might be a possibility to get the data. Apart from this I think I would postpone in your case which gives you enough time and money for know but there might be a time to come when your daughter goes of to e.g. school when you find some time to pick it up again. Just to keep your options open.